Apdriver

Arkie Shakey Head

Someone has asked me to make them some Arkie Shakey heads. These use a clip to hold the bait, instead of the screw lock. The problem is I have the Do-It shakey head mold with the screw lock. My understanding is some tournament fisherman like the Arkie because it is faster than a screw lock to replace your bait. My question is does anyone know where to get a Arkie Shakey Head mold and where to buy the clips? Are they even available? Thanks for any help.

Apdriver,

Are you asking if there is a mold that makes an Arky head with a built in screw-lok??????

No Sir,

I was asking if there was a mold like the Arkie Shakey that can be purchased. The customer wanted a 1/16 and a 1/8 ounce. The clip is added after pour and paint. I have never seen these for sale and wondered if they were available.

It is very easy to make those with your mold. The arkie brand shakey head is a round head with a clip that is attached to the line tie like the way a hitchhiker is attached to the line tie of a jig but instead of having the screw lock it has a backward facing bend. If you have a tackle store near you then go there and look for single strand leader wire in 90# to 150#, those are the ranges you need to check for you to find the right stiffness. Once you find the right wire you can make 2 wraps at the line tie to secure the clip and then cut off the excess and make the small bend and you're done. The other thing you can do is  pour the shakey head normal with the screw lock and just cut the top 2 twist off to make it a short screw that will hold well but make it easier for him is speed is the reason. Most of the guys I make shakey heads for, including myself, like the screw locks as they hold well and you can back the worm off and still use it, wire keepers like the arkie brand uses hold well and are fast but once the worm is removed it is junk as those barbs tear it up. I hope this helps, and for the rest of the guys, check out Arkie lures, that is not only a style of jig head but a brand name.

Thanks Smalljaw. I like the screw locks too. I have the do-it stand up jig mold and just ordered the round head shakey mold from Zeiners. That should do the trick for me. I'll be sure and tell him about cutting the coil to make it faster.

I didn't think about that. I guess instead of epoxying the weed guard, epoxy the screwlock. Thanks snowman I'm gonna give that a try. I even have some that I haven't put weed guards in after powder painting that will work great. Fish a big plastic with them or like the pic shows.....Nice....

If you buy the medium hitchhikers from Barlows, they fit in the weedguard slot with no modification, then get a 1/116" drill bit and using the shank end first, insert it into the hitchhiker and stop it right at the head. You have to wrap the back end of the bit with aluminum foil so it stays in the mold when you close it, and then pour and now you got a screwlock in place of the weedguard. I've made football jigs like that so you then you have a worm on the jig shaky head style yet still weedless like a jig.

Picture001-2.jpg

Edited by smalljaw

If you buy the medium hitchhikers from Barlows, they fit in the weedguard slot with no modification, then get a 1/116" drill bit and using the shank end first, insert it into the hitchhiker and stop it right at the head. You have to wrap the back end of the bit with aluminum foil so it stays in the mold when you close it, and then pour and now you got a screwlock in place of the weedguard. I've made football jigs like that so you then you have a worm on the jig shaky head style yet still weedless like a jig. Thanks for that smalljaw!

Picture001-2.jpg

If you buy the medium hitchhikers from Barlows, they fit in the weedguard slot with no modification, then get a 1/116" drill bit and using the shank end first, insert it into the hitchhiker and stop it right at the head. You have to wrap the back end of the bit with aluminum foil so it stays in the mold when you close it, and then pour and now you got a screwlock in place of the weedguard. I've made football jigs like that so you then you have a worm on the jig shaky head style yet still weedless like a jig.

Picture001-2.jpg

Thank you Smalljaw, I already have this mold and I was considering purchasing a shakey mold, with this info I don't have too. Thank you for sharing.

I use the screwlock but it isn't molded into the jig head. The first thing I do is cut the screw off at the halfway point leaving 3 twists. Then I take the "lock part and put it on the hooks eye then clamp it closed.

This leaves the screw loose and in line with the hook. My favorite bait is a 4 inch curly tail ring worm. Tail dipped in chart dye. This set up allows the bait to be at a 45 degree angle while on the lakes bottom.

I also use a plain jighead and hook the bait like a texas rigged worm and then push hook into the bait. This rig allows the bait to be in a more upright position.