Pit Bass

Cooling soft plastic baits

Hi Guys. What process do you all use to cool your baits after removing them from the mold ? Do you use pans of water or what ? If so, how long in the water? I use Calhoun plastic, leave it in the mold for 3 Min. and then put it in a pan of water. If I leave the bait in water overnight, the color seems to get lighter. If I pull the bait out of the water pan and place it on a flat surface, it seems to flatten out. Am I doing somthing wrong ? Thanks for any help !

I cant imagine why the cold water bath is needed. As soon as the baits are set up, you should be able to handle them and just lay them out nice and neat on a flat surface. They should be totally air cooled in no more than 5 minutes..... If not I think something wierd is going on.....How hot are you getting the plastic?

John

I agree John......

I've never placed them in water. I just place 'em on my cooling boards, which are made of wood. I prefer wood over aluminum because it cools much faster. If you use Calhoun plastic, let the baits sit for a half day before you treat and package.

Chris

Thanks Guys. I'm pouring my Calhoun at 350F and I place my 1 part baits on a peice of vinyl siding to cool. When I do this, the flat side of the bait takes-on the "grain" of the vinyl siding. If I cool the baits in water first, this effect is less noticable, but still there. My biggest problem with this is when I pour full-round, 2 part baits. These seem to even get a flat side if cooled on the vinyl siding.

Pit Bass

Are you using any softner with the Calhoun plastic? Try using the back side of the siding instead of the grain side or a smooth piece of plastic or maybe a piece of glass. I bought some Calhoun plastic but never used it yet. I let the LC plastic air cool without any problem. After you poured your plastic lure your can place them in water, once they cooled to room temperture you can take them out.