tigerfire

Wooden Mold?

Can you pour hot plastic into a wooden mold and get a bait out? 

I have a wood cavity that I wanted to pour plastic into, but I didn't know if the plastic would stick to the wood or if the wood would be able to handle the heat of the plastic?  I'm not a wood guy, so I don't know what kind of wood.  I just need to get one or two pours out of it.

I don't pour plastic nor do I build a lot of molds, but couldn't you just seal the wood with a thinned epoxy? Lot of folks use epoxy to seal wooden cranks against water intrusion and if the epoxy is applied properly the plastic would never touch the wood. Epoxy also leaves a really slick surface if you make sure to get tiny the bubbles out of it.

Ben

Got around to pouring into the wood last night.  No problems at all. 

I didn't coat the wood with anything, just poured plastic straight into the cavity.  I waited for the plastic to cool to 300 degrees on the first couple of pours, but after that I was pouring at 330 degrees.  I'm sure I could have poured it even hotter if needed.  I didn't see any problems with the wood after the pouring.

I asked about this a few years ago when Sears came out with a small wood cnc machine but i was thinking about making a block of bondo resin and using that in place of wood would like to hear if anyone has one and if it's possible.

Sorry, I missed the part where you said you didn't know what kind of wood.  I just wanted to know because with most regular hardwoods (mohogany, oak, poplar, cherry) I can cut about 5-6 times as high a feed and a couple times the depth of cut as I can with aluminum.  It would be a good fast way to prototype baits.