rockslide

Hand Poured Veins

i need to get good at making veins so i need the correct tools. i have 1 cup and also a 4 cup pyrex cups. the spout is too wide and i don't get the results i want. so i went an picked up a norpro cup. it works much better but 2 oz. is the max you can use in it. also i have to pinch it witch takes 2 hands an i still don't get the results i want. is there anything else out there i can use to aid me in fine vein pouring

I haven't made them in a while but the small pour pan that lurecraft sells (did sell) had a small spout.<br />You could also pinch the spout tighter with tools. But, you need a heat source to keep it hot. I use<br />a hot single burner with a pot screen so the plastic stays hot but doesn't burn. You can get it at the hardware store - or walmart. Hope this helps.

If you take some JB weld and build up the pouring spout on the pyrex. Let it set up for a couple of days. Then take a small round fine file and carve out the size of pouring spout that works best for you. You may have to wrap the file with very fine sandpaper to get a good smooth finish.

Remember; use what you got and simpler is almost always better. :yay:

Edited by nova

You can pour vein by hand with MF Super Soft with a little practice, mostly powder colors such as blue brilliants split automatically if timed right. Pour you open mold, wait pour over top and it splits but like I said key if using powder based colors. Not sure with every brand plastisol that this will work in this manner. Bronze and coppers work great too!

Jeff@mf

I make my blood lines in one pc rtv molds using my Presto pots in my pouring station. The easiest way is, if you are using rtv, or pop or dwp, resin ect ect, put a pc of alum on bottom so it slides easy, and move your mold under the nozel instead of trying to pour by hand.

update

for small batches  4oz. or less! buy 2 walmart burners bypassing the thermostat on the burners an add a light dimmer! bypassing the thermostat on the burners is necessary because the temperature fluctuate uncontrollable. buy 2 heat diffuser for the burners. cook the plastic in the microwave transfer the plastic to lurecraft small pans! only fill the pans to the point were you can get close to an 90 degree angle when pouring the plastic out is the key an gives you the most control! this is my small batch quick setup. 

Edited by rockslide

Maybe completely not what your interested in but I have a small injector that I use from time to time for this kind of work or other tinkering. I found a metal marinade injector at Lowes in the grill section. Mine came with two long tips.  Although not intended for plastic, you can keep it hot on/in a heat source and it’s ready to go when needed.  It’s decently accurate but not absolutely the perfect setup. 

• Like 1