longhorn

Oil For Packaging Plastics

Started pouring some finesse worms that require bagging. I'm using worm oil from a major supplier and it works great for bagging but soaks into the worms and they are dry and stuck together the next day. What oil can I use for packaging that will keep the worms lubricated in the bag? Thanks.

I have used worm oil in the past but don't use it anymore. I have bags that are several years old with worm oil and it is just like the day I put it in.  I will use salt now. Not a lot. Just enough so baits don't stick together.  I have used oil from Lurecraft and MF and never had the problem you describe.

Depending upon the product I'm packaging. I'll use worm oil to aid in a slick finish, helping product so slide easily-especially in precise ,fitting bags. I also use very fine powered salt from Bear's and Powered salt from Spike -it. Powered salt will give the soft-bait a dull appreance and great slip for easy packaging.It will disapate  and washed right off on the 1st cast,resulting in a shiny soft-bait.Use powered salt very sparingly unless you want white soft-baits. A little goes a long way.

Customers may object to slimy,oily baits so i wouldn't be concerned about soft-baits absorbing the worm oil. Heavy,large  salt granulars are a P.I.A. in my opinion as they make a mess for rigging and burn w/any small cuts on your fingeres and hand.

I have a customer that will not take baits w/ heavy salt in the bags.. he says it gets all over his boat and he dosn't like that.

also some guys do not like the heavy oil or scent on the baits because it gets on there hands,,

so good luck with what you come up with.

its hard to make every one happy..

i let my baits set at least 24 hrs before bagging.

Started pouring some finesse worms that require bagging. I'm using worm oil from a major supplier and it works great for bagging but soaks into the worms and they are dry and stuck together the next day. What oil can I use for packaging that will keep the worms lubricated in the bag? Thanks.

Longhorn -

do the baits have salt in them?  If so, I'm wondering if the salt is absorbing the worm oil? 

Rick

I use LC soft formula and no matter how much worm oil I douse the baits with, in about two weeks the baits are oil free again.  No salt either.  I have even had oil pooling in the bottom of the bag, and two weeks later, gone.   No complaints, the baits are easy to handle once it soaks in.