fishbayte

Using Salt In Softies...is There A Recommended Ratio?

I am new to making soft lures...and like the salt idea for a few reasons. I was wondering if there is a recommended ratio for adding salt...I realize that there are different rates for different weights, but, for a medium size medium use soft bait, is there a recommended ratio or %? I hope to be pouring some this coming weekend...

For my full round trick worms i use 20 of lc`s measuring spoon`s dash per 4oz. in all other baits i use 15 dash`s of salt per 4oz. When i use lc med plastic i add a cap of softener per 4 oz with salt.

I just started using MF super soft so no softener.

Been using this ratio for years.Works perfect.

Edited by daveh

I have to be completely honest.  I'm not sure where your going with the question.

I use salt only as a sinking agent to the bait.  It doesn't add a taste to the plastic regardless of what you've read.

Flukes and sticks I want on the bottom get a butt load of salt and softener.  Flukes I want to be worked on top get none at all.

Any plastic that is worked on weights(Dropshot, jigs, spinnerbaits, ect) get little or none depending on how I want the plastic to fall on a pause and retrieve speed.

There's a lot to be factored in, but you have the ability to control the plastic the way you want it.

What baits are you looking at pouring?  That helps a lot and determines more.

• Like 2

I respectfully disagree with the idea that salt won't have a fish holding factor as my baits absorb water weight which indicates the the salt is eroding with time in the water, now does that mean that fish can taste well let's just say I leave that to a higher authority as I know of no-one who can speak fish.

With a bass having a brain the size of my pinkie nail, I don't feel that they're much more than a simple reactionary creature that has handed me more scores of "skunk" than I care to look at.

I don't speak fish either, but they aren't evolved enough to be called thinking creatures.

My advise is to determine where the bait is going to be fished, how it's going to be fished, and go from there within one's own fishing style.

Just for the record scent, taste and color fall way behind placement and technique within the majority of our fishing outings.

If it ever comes down to the tertiary details, I'm not enough of an angler to make that determination.

I am however, just enough of an angler to say that many of the things people think are important aren't that important if position and technique are prioritized first.

I totally agree Patrick. Manufacturers have been selling us on salt helps fish hold on. And now everyone believes it. So many ask me for it in baits.

It just makes the baits weaker so they sell you more.

I dont use salt anymore in baits that I want to sink weightless like sticks and flukes or sometimes trick worms. I use the caney/doit HDA additive which make the baits sink well, makes them softer, and more durable.

...Bill

Who cares if he wants to add salt.Add if you want to. I add it to all my baits when i use super soft. Add to my trick worms and my sticks.

Where do you think he`s going with it.He asked a question so i answered it.. Most guys that have been using store bought baits are use to salt.

I have been pouring baits a long time and use salt in some baits and not others.

tell all my customers color does not matter. Guy needs some help so i gave it to him.

I am however, just enough of an angler to say that many of the things people think are important aren't that important if position and technique are prioritized first.

Now that's a funny statment

• Like 1

I totally agree Patrick. Manufacturers have been selling us on salt helps fish hold on. And now everyone believes it. So many ask me for it in baits.

It just makes the baits weaker so they sell you more.

...Bill

Typical granular salt will make baits weaker simply beause it creates more space between the plastic and the salt.but the ultra fine salt from Bear's will not.Customers have told me repeatedly how my sticks w/ ultra-fine salt/sand mix outlast Senkos on a average of 7 to 1. That said, use no salt if you want your baits to float  and salt if you want them to sink. i always use 2 different types of  proven commercial scent  cooked in all of my soft-baits.

The OP has to tell us WHY he wants to add salt. Then we can give him a usefull answer.

If its for "taste" then maybe 1 teaspoon per 4 oz (guessing)

To match a Senko in softness and sink rate I use two heaping tablespoonsos salt per 4 oz medium and 1 tablespoon softener.

Others say 2:1 plastic to salt for sticks. To me this is rediculous.

Drop shot baits, worms, craws etc get no salt as I want them to float off the bottom.

I agree and used to use Bears powdered salt unless I needed a more clear bait

..Bill

Edited by MonteSS

Who cares if he wants to add salt.Add if you want to. I add it to all my baits when i use super soft. Add to my trick worms and my sticks.

Where do you think he`s going with it.He asked a question so i answered it.. Most guys that have been using store bought baits are use to salt.

I have been pouring baits a long time and use salt in some baits and not others.

tell all my customers color does not matter. Guy needs some help so i gave it to him.

Now that's a funny statment

Sorry if I missed it but where did you answer his question about how much salt to add?

...Bill

I understand that salt is an additive...cheap filler....I was thinking it would add a little more weight. Nothing special about what I wanted to use it for. I have actually never even SEEN baits with added salt, any of the fishing "holes" I have been to have not advertised salt as any additive, so assume it isn't there.

I am also assuming that repouring would require adding something to the melted plastic/salt base?

Like I said, this is new to me. I would prefer to NOT make every same mistake ever made in plastics history...if I can avoid them

I don't match the weight of a Senko-not worried about it one bit. Mine are heavier but just as soft and flexible. Anglers who follow the pack and magazine articles learn nothing but copying everyone else beating the banks. Little do they realize  a 10-15mph breeze on the water, blowing a belly in their line and their beloved Senko (or exact copy) is skating-1-2 feet under the surface. Not a productive presentation when the bottom depths are 5-12'

Fishing buddies , myself and customers do very well wacky worming w/ 1/64-1/32 or- no more then a 1/16 oz. bullet weight placed 6" above the hook and pegged w/ a rubber T stop on my heavy sticks. This data was gatherd over hours of underwater observation and experimentation. As always,the bass have the final say and have responded well.The light weights will not inhibit the wacky action of the baits I really have to chuckle when these experts say-"Never put a weight on a Senko" :oooh: . They have no idea what they're missing-post spawn  in 8-12' of water w/ a slight breeze.

Edited by smallmouthaholic

some people like salt, some dont. all a matter of opinion.

i will suggest that whatever you do. get a digital scale and weigh your salt content vs your plastic content (rather than guessing with tablespoons etc)

i will add that i havent seen as many bass hold onto an un-salted or lighter salted bait longer than ive seen them hold onto a heavy salted senko.

depending on how you're fishing no salt should still give you enough time for a hookset. my advice is to use salt for sinking baits, whether it be sinking fast/slow/boyant, etc

I understand that salt is an additive...cheap filler....I was thinking it would add a little more weight. Nothing special about what I wanted to use it for. I have actually never even SEEN baits with added salt, any of the fishing "holes" I have been to have not advertised salt as any additive, so assume it isn't there.

I am also assuming that repouring would require adding something to the melted plastic/salt base?

Like I said, this is new to me. I would prefer to NOT make every same mistake ever made in plastics history...if I can avoid them

To keep it simple, dont add salt to a bait you will use a weight to make it sink. Drop shot baits, texas rig baits, Carolina rig baits, shakeyhead baits, jig trailers, etc.

You will get nice clean bright transparent colors that show glitters and hilites well. They are also easier to pour and/or inject for beginners. Add scent (20 or so drops per 4 oz) if you like.

Hope this helps

I regularly shoot sticks with 0 salt a bunch, I fish them for myself, not selling them, a 4/0 hook takes it down nice and slow especially wacky rigged, I make huge stick baits tho. I have found the biggest advantage to using salt, is you can make your bait less durable, displace more plastic yielding more baits. And intern making larger margins. As was said, its all preference.

!5

For my full round trick worms i use 20 of lc`s measuring spoon`s dash per 4oz. in all other baits i use 15 dash`s of salt per 4oz. When i use lc med plastic i add a cap of softener per 4 oz with salt.

I just started using MF super soft so no softener.

Been using this ratio for years.Works perfect.

this is how much salt to add. i catch more fish with salted baits than floating ones,Use to never use salt except trick and senkos.Know i put it in all my baits.Guess the fish around here don`t see much of there food floating.Still get some float even with salt.Not doing it for taste just to keep my baits from floating to high.

Using LC measuring spoons.

20 dashes of salt for trick and senko`s per 4oz,If you use med plastic use a cap of softener.

15 dashes in all other baits per 4oz. use softener with med plastic.

But if you want your baits to be more buoyant do not use it. iT`S MAINLY PERSONAL PREFERENCE BUT I CATCH MORE FISH WITH SALT. I use to not add salt.Thought a floating bait was it but over the years the fish i catch like the bait on the bottom. Maybe i have no clue but it works for me and just trying to help a new pourer. 

Fishing is a highly personal thing. No two fishermen fish the same. There are subtitle differances that happen. As for the salt in baits; you have to find what amount of salt works for you. Just play with the amounts and keep track(pen and paper) while you do it. That way you can repeat it each time.

I never believe what I see in ads; too many smoke and mirrors with a dash of BS. I decide to use a bait based on shape mostly with color second.

Too many consumers have been brought up(brainwashed) to believe what the see/hear in ads. Everything today seems to be the "latest and greatest".

Tourney fisherman want my baits salted.They drop shot the,salted baits.I found a ratio that works.My trick worms fished wacky are deadly. With out salt they will not sink.But to each there own. Just trying to help a guy with what i been doing successfully for 10 years.You don`t need salt in craws but the last few years been using it in them also.And the color  is key. I can fish all other colors than my best and not get bit. Put on my Zamboni green trick and it`s on.lol

Take Zoom baits.They are salted and may have caught more fish than any other store bought bait.So i don`t think they use it as a filler or gimmick.