asipo123

White Turns Yellow After Reheating Couple Of Times

keep your heat around 360 degrees. add stabilizer to light colors.

also if you are going to re-heat, make sure you add new plastic to your cup, it'll help even out the heat. and stir every 30 seconds.

X2

and then when it turns yellow...it's time to make some chartreuse baits or amber or bone. Don't fight the madness.

• Like 1

When I'm making the natural shad or pearl white swim baits and jerk baits, the plastic will sometimes discolor.

The best way that I've found to lessen this is to never let the plastic cool to the point that it has to be re-heated for an extended time.

I also put all of the sprue ends from the mold in a bowl until I need to add more plastic in my cup, then add the sprue while the plastic is still hot, and let it sit before microwaving.  Letting it sit in the hot plastic helps to heat it so there is a little less time in the microwave to make the solidified plastic liquid again.

Add just enough of the first run plastic to give you what you need to shoot a few more baits, and repeat it as needed.

I also will scrape the side of the cup to remove the plastic skin down to the top level of the existing hot plastic and throw that in the bowl.

While re-heating, I take the cup out of the microwave frequently and stir.  If there are still chunks of solidified plastic, I let it sit in the hot plastic for a few moments before returning to the microwave.  If the pieces are small  enough, they melt from the heat of the liquid plastic without further microwaving.

Cutting the chunks up into tiny pieces helps too.

The challenge is really to re-heat the plastic as few times as possible at as low a temp as can be worked with and as quickly as you can.  Prolonged excessive heat is the real culprit to yellowing.

I work with 3 cups at a time when doing swim baits, and rarely have troubles with yellowing. 

With darker colored baits, I just nuke the crap out of it and go fishing.