Kris

D2T Multiple Coats ...

I'm wanting to clear some RC 1.5 KOs first with D2T before painting to create a smooth surface like found on KVD 1.5s.  Then I would apply a 2nd coat of clear after painting.

I was wondering if the weight of multiple coats of D2T would change the action of the crankbait.  Also, how many coats of D2T do you suppose you can apply to a crankbait before it begins to have an effect on the crankbait??

Thanks.

D2t is very thick, IMO.  I have thinned it before (denatured alcohol, I think) and it worked fine.  I would suggest a search for that.  But yes, you can sometimes have an impact on the action from the additional weight of the clear.  I've used Enviro-tech before (which is referred to as e-tex on this site quite a bit) and prefer it, primarily because it is thinner.  However,  E-tex takes several hours to cure.

Also, you can try heating up the D2t using a blow dryer just before application.  The heat will reduce your work time, but it will make it more fluid temporarily.  If I remember correctly, the addition of denatured alcohol (a couple drops) will slow the cure time.  

There are folks on here with much more experience at thinning dt2 than I though.

I've used 2 coats on plastic baits before without a noticeable affect. I usually put a couple drops of denatured alcohol after the epoxy is mixed, then mix it again to get the alcohol blended evenly ( this also helps cut back on bubbles).

I often weigh out all the components of a bait to hit a finished target weight and estimate a coat of D2T adds .03 oz to a bass size crankbait.  Will it make a difference in the action?  Yes, anything you do to a bait can change the action to some degree.  Adding additional weight will dampen the action slightly.  But it's your choice to judge whether the difference in action is significant enough to warrant a change for purely esthetic reasons.