RayburnGuy

Yet Another Way To Splatter Paint

I've tried several different techniques to apply the splatter effect and while having success with all there were some drawbacks. At least the way I've been doing them. I've tried putting paint on a toothbrush and flicking the bristles and while this works I always end up getting paint all over me and everything else close to me. I've also used Pete's (Hazmail) method of adding a short piece of a drinking straw onto the end of the airbrush. This worked as well, but I never could get the splatter  as small as I wanted it. I've also used 68Kingfisher's method of holding a tongue depressor right in front of the nozzle and aiming the spray onto the tongue depressor which deflects the paint onto the bait. This method worked as well, but again I could never get enough control over it to achieve the small splatter placed exactly where I wanted it.

The latest thing I've tried is to thin the paint to the consistency of water (the paint has to be thinned for this to work) and using quick flicks on the trigger to shoot the paint. I'm not sure if this will work with every airbrush, but it works really well with my Iwata Hi-Line HP-CH. I'm using around 20 psi and choking the air flow down with the MAC valve while pulling all the way back on the trigger to get maximum paint volume. The best way to describe the "flicking" is to press all the way down on the trigger while pulling all the way back in one, quick fluid motion and then releasing the trigger as soon as you feel it go all the way back. It's easier to do if you use just the tip of your finger.

Doing the splatter this way has enabled me to get much smaller "splatters" on the bait and you don't get paint everywhere. You can hold the airbrush just a couple inches away and still get the splatter effect. It's also much easier to control where the splatter goes. At least for me.

Like I've said before I'm no artist when it comes to using an airbrush and there are many of you who already know about doing it this way. Hopefully this will help some of the guys just starting out and wanting to try some of the splatter back paint jobs.

Ben

• Like 2

Hi Ben, thanks for sharing. I use a silicone basting brush for making small splatters. Just barely dipping the tips and then touching the lure with them. actually, I'm not sure if it was called a basting brush or a pastry brush. Just another way, hope this helps someone.

John

Thanks Ben, I have been searching for the same solution, will certainly have  ago at this one-

While searching I came across something on an Iwata site where they recommend removing the 'nozzle' and 'needle cap' to get a fine spatter, seems  as though with no pressure around the tip (and needle) the tip draws paint out in 'blobs' rather than a spray. I haven't tried this yet so it's just another option to play with. 

Thanks again.

Pete

I believe if i readi It right, I do it the same way a RayburnGuy.....I cut the pressure way down and then pull the trigger all the way. Similar to It spits out a small amount, is very time consuming but gives a nice affect. To do the back of a 1.5, I would say I had to pull the trigger about 50 times. Warning.....not for production and older tacklemaker with Arthritis! LOL