Little man baits

Bears Shooting Star Vs High Rock Mold Double Barrel ?

im planning on getting a double barrel system soon myself.

aside from the 50% price difference from bears, it just looks like its setup better to me, instead of 2 pipe connections in the middle to clog up, the injectors go right into the pots.

cant speak for bears, im sure its a very nice system. but i dont have 1200$ to throw around.

Twinjector and complete rack is about 500. It is designed to suit different level of pouring needs. You can by the rack only and shoot for a hobby. Or add the heater and run production. Each system has a trade off weather it be cost, or more pieces to work with. In the end both are producing laminates.

im planning on getting a double barrel system soon myself.

aside from the 50% price difference from bears, it just looks like its setup better to me, instead of 2 pipe connections in the middle to clog up, the injectors go right into the pots.

cant speak for bears, im sure its a very nice system. but i dont have 1200$ to throw around.

Considering all you get with Bears system $1200.00 is at least a fair price... I'd call it a bargain and when I have the 12 hundy to throw, I plan to throw it at Bear..... Edited by bluetickhound

Nothing wrong with Bears system at all. Buy what you can afford. But lets not get mixed up here. These are two totally different approaches to the same objective. As I said it was designed to suit different levels of shooting. You cant compare apples to oranges. The stirring system was left out intentionally for affordability.

I want to jump in here and let you know that I do plan to add a stirring system. It will be modular so that it can be added later without having to purchase a whole new setup. The basic premise behind this setup is that users can add components to suit their individual needs. Not everyone needs a stirring system, or a heated system, that's why its offered in different configurations.

Thanks,

Kyle

Seems like a set up thread to me. But since its started, I'll add my 2 cents in since I make the paddles used in Bears stir system that I designed for my own use years ago. I have not tested a smaller off center stir system, but I would bet it will have issues after testing all styles I did before coming up with current Paddle Bears system uses. Now what people who inject do, they put injector into the pot, inject the molds, turn stir system on for a few seconds then when finished injecting, put injector back in the warm pot. But, the most labor intensive problem will be mixing your plastic to temp without a stir system. Especially with your harder formula plastisols. You will get a hotter bottom layer of plastic and scorch your plastic without a good stir system.. Like mentioned earlier, you will notice with your transparent and white lures. I would bet some of you that have pots with no stir system right now have this issue, but you don't notice because of the darker opeque' colours that are often used in bass fishing.

On a side note, I personally would not like to have a set up where I had to use a Hand whisk to mix my plastic.

Honest guys this is no set up thread it's an honest question . Both systems looks great and each one has their pros and cons. Bears is great cause it looks like it's very clean but unlike like the high rock using the twinjector u can take it apart and use 2 separate injectors. I originally said that I have my own stirring setup. No using a bears. And currently don't have a twinjector so I would need to buy one.

I my case for what I would need to purchase from either company is about the same dollar amount. Around the 600. I don't need bears complete system at 1200. Which is still a fair price. Because I already have the pots and my own stir .

Of course each one is designed for different levels of pourers. Thanks

Seems to me the question is how much do you want to do over how much the system you choose does, Bears unit seems to do all of the mundane things for you i.e. no blending block to clean, no plastic to stir, maintains heat throughout the process, seems a little easier to handle than the big twinjector setup so to me it's about how fast do you want to produce and how much prep/re-prep do you want to do to make the final product. I just hope threads like these continue cause you can bet your backside that improvements to these systems and one's not out yet are a direct result of civilized discussions on these systems.

Sometimes it is a personal choice. You all know I have mine and I share how I do it in depth. I shoot a lot of plastic and when I am working I don't go off and leave It there. I finish the amount that is mixed and move on. If I just sat around and said it was good enough then it just would not be me. Kajans paddles are great and not saying I don't need to use but my system does not utilize them. You see sometimes it takes someone who injects bait to say what they would like to see not adapt what is there. This is the reason for this holder. I had another video that showed me using the Twinjector and setting it in the pots. Now it is much cleaner and being heated makes the cooling plastic melt much faster. Now there was one other thing that I notice is that heat at the top of the pots helps keep the temp up and washes the sides down. I did not mention how I heat plastic but it might help to know I don't heat it in the presto. I use a microwave and Pyrex then transfer to the pot so getting hot spots is not an issue. Again this is how I do it and everyone is different. I don't criticize how someone stirs plastic.

On a paddle system it does not need to be smaller or offset. You see the Twinjector does not set on the bottom so the paddles can be cut but leave the bottom full width. In theory it should be just fine. I really like that the pots don't have to be modified so you can go and get your own and have as many as you want. Shipping on those pots are 50% of the cost of one. 30 dollar pot 14 to ups it.

This is not a comparison because I don't have a shooting star. Just never saw a need at least for me. The double barrel is just one part of a system that can be tailored to suit your needs. Your needs and knowledge will lead you in the direction that will suit your needs. Frank

I agree with a lot of what you say Frank. A whole lot of shooting baits is what works best for you personally. I've never used a stirring system, so I honestly have no idea how big the paddles are. Seems like slightly smaller paddles would still work? Back when I was doing a lot of shooting, I would try to stand the injectors up in the pot to keep them hot. Guess I'm just clumsy, but they would always try to fall over! that's when I originally came up with the idea of holders to keep the injectors standing up-right. So do you think that shortening the paddles a little would still work to keep the plastic stirred and then be able to use a holder for the injectors? Still seems to me that if you heat the plastic in a microwave, then put it in a pot to keep it hot, you would still have an issue with possibly scorching the plastic. When you use this technique, are you keeping the heat in the pot at a lower setting?

Yes the temp is lower by about 25deg. All pots vary so I will not tell you any temps. But with the new heated unit it is way below the scorching temp. By the way that scorching come from the presto because when it needs to turn on the heating element it goes full bore till it comes up. With a lower temp on the pot is gets there much faster so the temp spike is lees likely to happen. The unit for the double barrel has much less of this going on as it cycles much faster so the temp is way more stable. The original one I made was with a resistor heat controller but needed a temp gauge separate. Kyle put this together so it was way more appealing to the end user. I use a micro to heat plastic cause it is faster. You see I have two so it gets there fast. Two gallons in twenty minutes ready to go. Frank

Thanks Frank, I bet you go thru that two gallons pretty fast when you're making baits. But for those of us who are a lot slower, do you think a stirring system with shorter paddles would still keep the plastic stirred and keep it from scorching? Sorry, guess I'm being persistent, but like I said, I never used a stirring system.

I personally don't have any presto pots stirers or any of those things . Therefore to avoid all these pit falls I line up 6 to 12 molds according to there general size and shape put them in a clamping system . Then I nuke the plastic and shoot all the plastic I have heated up non stop . For a guy like me that just putters around with all tackle building it is the most cost effective . Unless you walk off to the crapper and stay too long . Things don't come out like you wouold like in either place .

Thanks Frank, I bet you go thru that two gallons pretty fast when you're making baits. But for those of us who are a lot slower, do you think a stirring system with shorter paddles would still keep the plastic stirred and keep it from scorching? Sorry, guess I'm being persistent, but like I said, I never used a stirring system.

Yes it would but how much plastic would you say is small? I only use the Presto pots if I need a large amount. Half a gallon of each color and more would get me to fire them up. Less than that and it's Pyrex and a griddle. No stirring system there either just my stir sticks. Frank

I really like my SS system and am excited to see a new and different approach with the HRDB system.

I spend my life around people who make or fix things with thier hands.  I have learned, usually the hard way, no matter what kind of tools are involved skill and level of interest is what drives the final result. 

A highly skilled and motivated mechanic seems to be able to tear down and rebuild something with a wiffle ball bat and a coat hanger, where a half-interested novice may not know what to do with a shop full of first-class equipment. 

Some stuff that clearly works well for other bait pourers just doesn't work well for me (Lee pots as an example).  I guess each of us need to decide what tools fit our needs and our style best. 

The great thing is that there is plenty of information about exactly how each of these tools work and what to consider. 

Thanks to all of you guys that have helped me get a bit better at this through your generous sharing of tips ands potential pitfalls. 

with what  frank said,,,,

the paddles could be full depth. but they would have to be shaped like a hockey stick. but the bottom portion would have to beefed up some so they dod not flex.

this just mite work awesome with the jector holder ???

Was actually thinking about having a round rod that scrapes the bottom with paddles above them. Just shows I have been thinking about it. Frank