Kasilofchrisn

Shawn Collins Customs What A Pleasure To Deal With.

Oh, good grief.  Twitching?  Really?  That's like another state (Michigan I think) saying a conventional dropshot rig is a snagging rig and not allowed. 

It isn't a twitch so to speak but a jerk at the end of the swing.

So here is the deal. Sockeye(red)Salmon do not eat in fresh water and in saltwater they eat mostly krill.

So fishing for them is done in the rivers with a fly on one end of your line and split shot or similiar weights 4'-6' up your line.

You flip your line upstream at ~ 45* angle and follow with your rod until you are ~45* downstrteam. Your line should be just ticking the river bottom on occasion..

If your line stops or you feel a fish set the hook and it'e likely fish on. If not flip your line back upstream.

Many people tend to jerk the line at the end of the swing which often times causes you to snag a fish elsewhere than in the mouth.

Hence they are snagging fish which is illegal in Alaska's freshwater.

They call it the Kenai twitch but it really is a jerk with the intent to snag a fish.

Now snagged fish must be released and you cannot intentionally snag but you will not get a ticket for a fish unintentionally snagged and properly released.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn

Oh, good grief.  Twitching?  Really?  That's like another state (Michigan I think) saying a conventional dropshot rig is a snagging rig and not allowed. 

What's really funny is you can't snag one ( I catch plenty and don't snag) but the gill netters catch millions of pounds per year in Cook Inlet using miles and miles of gill nets :-(

What's really funny is you can't snag one ( I catch plenty and don't snag) but the gill netters catch millions of pounds per year in Cook Inlet using miles and miles of gill nets :-(

What's wrong with the commercial fishermen harvesting the overabundence of red salmon?

They have overescaped the river consistently the last few years because not enough fish were caught.

This will most likely result in less fish in later years as there is only so much area for these fish and so much food.

I know lots of commercial fishermen and some of them are good friends of mine. Heck I was one myself once so I know how it is from both sides and there is no lack of red salmon for anyone.

Heck many of mine come from a dipnet. I am sure you are aware of that fishery as well.

Really I just wanted to make sure you were not one of those snagging types that's all as there is no shortage of those types around here,

No sir, and I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Just friendly conversation. I think Shawn Collins makes great molds.

Maybe when you are here we can meet up and I can show you my mold collection.

See what my Halibut and rockfish jigs look like.

He does make great molds and I own a few of them because of the quality and uniqueness of them.

I ordered it off of EBAY so shipping is free.

Thanks for the offer. I know I am going to like that mold.

Sorry I meant the harbor freight paint. Columbia also just had super mirror white and red on sale. They have $6.99 shipping to. If you haven't already I highly recommend getting there candy purple translucent. My most popular color by far. I also just got their neon green and yellow. Really nice also.

Sorry I meant the harbor freight paint. Columbia also just had super mirror white and red on sale. They have $6.99 shipping to. If you haven't already I highly recommend getting there candy purple translucent. My most popular color by far. I also just got their neon green and yellow. Really nice also.

Yeah I bought a pound of the harbor freight white and yellow awhile back so I have enough for now. I just need to start using more of it as a base coat as I don't always do that. Especially when I have the glow white already going in one of my fluid beds.

Thanks for the offer though.

Just ordered the larger Squid mold from him via EBAY and he emailed me back asking if I wanted to add another larger cavity to the mold for a little extra $$. Of course I went for it as the 16oz jigs I make now are quite popular in my area as is the 16 and 24 oz bullet heads..

I emailed him about a vertical squid mold and he got back to me the next day with some options on eye placement and sizes.

That was yesterday Just waiting for the final price quote based on what I told him I wanted.

• Like 1

Nice, I poured 200 of the 8,10&12 oz today. Took me a minute but it seems the mold pours better if you pour biggest to smallest. I'm guessing it heats the 8oz cavity when you pour the 12&10 first. Some times its hard to fill the nose as its on a weird angle. I also tilted the mold towards me. I probably did about 50 to 60 incomplete pours. It was a bit tough.

Don't know if your using a pot or a bullet laddle to pour with but I had better luck on some molds if I used the bullet ladle , turnd the mold on its nose , stuck the spout in then turned laddle and mold together down on the table . Just thought I'd toss that in in case it helps.

Nice, I poured 200 of the 8,10&12 oz today. Took me a minute but it seems the mold pours better if you pour biggest to smallest. I'm guessing it heats the 8oz cavity when you pour the 12&10 first. Some times its hard to fill the nose as its on a weird angle. I also tilted the mold towards me. I probably did about 50 to 60 incomplete pours. It was a bit tough.

I always seem to have the best luck when I pour one cavity at a time. Especially with multi size cavity molds.

It really isn't that much slower pouring one cavity until you have enough then switching cavities. It gives me complete pours in that one cavity every time so in the end without remelting the incomplete pours it isn't that much more timewise.

This has worked well for me on my Shawn Collins fish jig mold in the 10,12,16oz mold.

I use a 50# lead pot and a Rowell bottom pour ladle from Rotometals.

I have one that holds 1.5# and for my bigger stuff one that holds 4#. I highly recommend the Rowell ladles they work well for me.

Some molds just seem to be finicky like that though. My Do-It flutter jig mold in 7oz and 9oz needs to be tilted to work right.

The hardest one for me to pour has been the Hilts 10# fish shaped downrigger mold. I have to tilt it a lot and do it all in one pour from the pot. Even with two guy ladleing as fast as we could go it wouldn't turn out. Using an old lined leather glove as a hot pad and pouring from the pot we made a few that turned out good.

I always seem to have the best luck when I pour one cavity at a time. Especially with multi size cavity molds.

It really isn't that much slower pouring one cavity until you have enough then switching cavities. It gives me complete pours in that one cavity every time so in the end without remelting the incomplete pours it isn't that much more timewise.

This has worked well for me on my Shawn Collins fish jig mold in the 10,12,16oz mold.

I use a 50# lead pot and a Rowell bottom pour ladle from Rotometals.

I have one that holds 1.5# and for my bigger stuff one that holds 4#. I highly recommend the Rowell ladles they work well for me.

Some molds just seem to be finicky like that though. My Do-It flutter jig mold in 7oz and 9oz needs to be tilted to work right.

The hardest one for me to pour has been the Hilts 10# fish shaped downrigger mold. I have to tilt it a lot and do it all in one pour from the pot. Even with two guy ladleing as fast as we could go it wouldn't turn out. Using an old lined leather glove as a hot pad and pouring from the pot we made a few that turned out good.

Ive read it quite a few times about doing one at a time. Doesn't work for me though. I actually time every pour to see what's faster. For me pouring 3 or 4 cavities at a time is at a minimum twice as fast. I've been ordering my molds multi cavity same size. I bought a 8oz diamond jig 4 cavity. Normally I do 200 at a time and it took forever and it was hard to keep the mold hot one at a time for me. Now I pour them four at a time and take all four out at once too. I pour a layer on top of the mold and pull all four out together. Took me a little less than two hours to pour two hundred. I also used the drop out spray for the first time on the squid mold and it helped quite a bit. Going to try it on all my others now.

Got an email that my mold was done ready to go with some info on some plastics molds, I think the time he took was very reasonable, told me three weeks, was a few days over so I'm happy with that! Now I can't wait to be pouring out of that sucker!

Awesome I'm going to see if he will do the squid mold with a shank for soft plastics.