Inrll

Hardware Store Foil Tape?

Has anyone tried the foil tape at hardware stores? I've seen it at HF and Lowe's and wondered how well it would work for foiling some hardbaits. I have a feeling its probably too thick but I normally double dip my lures in Solarez which is pretty thick when dipped so I wonder if it might cover up the lines. What do you all think?

I've used it and yes, it is thicker than I think is ideal but it does work.  I much prefer using Venture Brite-Bak tape, which is a tape designed for stained glass artists.  Much thinner, just as strong.  If Solarez covers up the edges of the HVAC foil to your satisfaction, there's no reason not to use it however.

Not all brands of tape are the same thickness. I can't remember the brand, but at Home Depot I found a tape that is much thinner than the rest. It is thin enough to smash out most wrinkles. The thicker tapes will not allow you to smash out all of the wrinkles. I prefer the adhesive backed tapes because the adhesive does  not dry out over the amount of time I need to foil a bait. 

• Like 1

Not all brands of tape are the same thickness. I can't remember the brand, but at Home Depot I found a tape that is much thinner than the rest. It is thin enough to smash out most wrinkles. The thicker tapes will not allow you to smash out all of the wrinkles. I prefer the adhesive backed tapes because the adhesive does  not dry out over the amount of time I need to foil a bait. 

Is that the material for duct work? Not duct tape mind you but a very light weight foil tape?

Jerry

I think the tape your referring to is called Reflectix.  It is in the insulation aisle. Great price also it's only $2.15. I've used it with great results.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-2-in-x-30-ft-Reflective-Foil-Tape-FT210/100318556#.UdyVlObD_IU

Nice! I didn't know about this stuff. I'll have to stop by HD and pick some up.

I've just never felt like I was in control using any adhesive-backed foil. I foil prolly an average of 12-20 lures every week and I do it the old-fashioned way....household foil and Loctite Spray Adhesive. I spray the foil for one side of a lure, let it sit a couple minutes (time varies depending on temp) and, after spraying the other side, I apply the first. After that's done I do the other side. Allowing the glue to tack gives me enough time to roll out all wrinkles, but, it also allows me to reposition the foil if need be. If I didn't wait those few minutes....Loctite will set immediately and permanently on contact. Everyone should do what they're comfortable with, tho.

• Like 1

I like to use the thin foil candy wrappers from craft shops and 3M super 77 spray. Come in like 100 4x4inch squares. Very thin and burnish well.

May have to try BobP's tape... Interesting.

Does the tape ever separate later? Any option seems like it may be the weak link in the layers of coatings on a bait due to weaker adhesive (spray on or tape)

I like the Brite-Bak adhesive back foil myself. Never tried the aluminum foil on candy wrappers or the kitchen kind though. One thing I like about the Brite-Bak is you don't have to wait on anything to cure. As soon as I get the foil applied I coat the bait with 30 minute epoxy.

One thing to keep in mind is don't try to completely wrap the bait with one piece of foil unless you make some relief cuts in it or use separate pieces for the top, sides and bottom. If you try to foil the entire bait with one piece you'll end up with wrinkles on the compound curves of the bait that you'll never be able to smooth out.

Ben

I like to use the thin foil candy wrappers from craft shops and 3M super 77 spray. Come in like 100 4x4inch squares. Very thin and burnish well.

May have to try BobP's tape... Interesting.

Does the tape ever separate later? Any option seems like it may be the weak link in the layers of coatings on a bait due to weaker adhesive (spray on or tape)

The adhesive on the Brite-Bak is pretty strong, but it can be pulled up and moved if you don't wait too long. After foiling I apply a coat of epoxy to the entire lure to smooth out the edges of the foil and leave a smooth finish to paint on. Once the epoxy is cured the foil definitely isn't coming off.

Practically anything with a smooth surface that won't tear the foil can be used for burnishing. Burnishing is the act of getting the wrinkles out of the foil as well as making sure the foil+adhesive is in full  contact with the bait.

I think Solarfall has a video in the tutorial section that shows how he does it. Believe it's also on the link I attached above.

The adhesive on the Brite-Bak is pretty strong, but it can be pulled up and moved if you don't wait too long. After foiling I apply a coat of epoxy to the entire lure to smooth out the edges of the foil and leave a smooth finish to paint on. Once the epoxy is cured the foil definitely isn't coming off.

Good point. Very important to get any little bubble.

I use the metal duct tape you can get at lowes. It leaves ridges you can see at the seams but it shines nice. The fish dont care about the seams but the flash gets them.

This one has the tape on it. I cut the tape, and draw around the bait on the back side and cut to that line. Then stick it on the bait and smooth it out. It works better on flat sided baits like this. The rounded one krinkle and you ahve to really work the bottom of the spoon on them the crush the Krinkles.

d-bait-3half-silver.jpg