bluetickhound

Registering Domain Names/ Website Hosting....

Did a search on this subject and the threads are several years old.... Anybody have any current advice on getting up and running? I'm kind of leery of some of the sites I saw claiming to "Register your domain name for CHEEP!!!".... I don't want to make any more trouble for myself than neccesary.... TIA for your help!!

Dont do it...so many of those sites have so much "extra" that you would never find out about until it was too late and had put your computer at risk! Far better to deal with someone who registers sites, builds sites, etc. If you can build your own site good, if not, there are reasonable folks that are reliable. Now the plug...my husband has been doing this for a number of years, and is very reasonable, can do what you need...contact me privately if you would like to talk with him...

Our store is hosted at 3dcart. they have the software and provide the hosting. they include a shared ssl. which would be fine for bait sales I believe. Or you can upgrade. Like anything else, they always have sales addons to lure you in. the base site for small businesses with like 100 products is 19.99 mo. There online 24 hr chat is priceless as well. Anything I can do to help out, feel free to ask away, I have built 100% of both our sites. Its really not that complicated once you get going at it. Our other site is hosted at Go daddy, that will change when the yr expires.

Go Daddy has a semi proprietary user hosting interface.   Some people like it, but most of the guys I know want more control than that and prefer to host their sites elsewhere.  I tried them and hated it.  I host currently on IMHOSTED, but I'm getting ready to make a change.  I hear good things about Liquid Net hosting, but because I have multiple sites I'll probably sign up through Reseller Panel. 

As to registration.  Just make sure you register your domain name yourself so you have control, and can't lose it when you change hosts or have it stolen by a disreputable web builder.  (not all websites that claim to be stolen really are though...I don't want to hear your sob story)

I currently have all my sites registered through Act Now Domains, by I have used Dirt Cheap Domains, and Go Daddy in the past.  For simplicity sake I transferred the registrations all over to the same name registrar.

Shipping can be a pain in the butt too. I recently heard that Shopify allowed the best intregration with several shipping programs. 

I wont name who I use, but they want way tooo much for the simple shipping solution. It's a shopping cart site. 

Also, you'll begin to get numerous calls and offers to perform Search Engine Optimization for you. Don't buy into them.  You're site will get to the top the old fassion way if it's a great site and get's lots of great reviews. but it won't get to the top by web SEO companies performing what they call search engine optimization. Been there, done that. 

There are some real tricks to SEO on and within your site though. that's worth quite a bit. 

I use godaddy for hosting and domain names, it was 10.00 and 50 to host for the year. I'm am a rookie with web hosting also. I use coffecup software to make the page, you can go custom or buy templates. They have a shopping cart creator I plan on getting in the future, you can sell all your items manage inventory set up shipping and once you buy it, it's yours no monthy fee $90.00.