Bass4Me

Super Floating Lures And Micro Bubbles Idea

I want to make some super floating snakes as long as 18 inches but the micro bubbles are very, very difficult to use. Nothing can be around you to cause the bubbles to get airborn like a fan, air conditioning/heater fans etc.

I am aware the plastic floats with a light wire or small normal hook, I'm talking about making snakes that need 5/0 & 6/0 heavy duty hooks with braid line to haul the bass out of heavy lilly pads and thick grass..

Would this idea work?

I have thought about using a larger eye dropper to add the micro bubbles to the plastic

First thing: add plastic and extra color to cup. then place the eye dropper slowly into the bottle of bubbles, then gently suck up the bubbles, Next place the dropper deep into the plastic filled cup and slowly squeeze in the bubbles, then mix your plastic, color and bubbles together. Extra color should be used as I recall reading the the bubbles will make the bait a lighter color than planned. 

I hope this method will lessen the risk of air born bubbles getting inhaled.

Let me know what you pros think and has anyone tried this before.

Edited by Bass4Me

I agree with Bill. I tried micro balloons in plastisol for the first time recently. I put a fair amount in medium plastisol(about 3/4 oz in 2 oz of plastic). It won't float a 4/0 hook, and the plastic is really weak, tears easily. Colors were really faded out too. I wasn't really happy with the results.

There was a bait brand (Elaztech?) Advertising that their bait floats a hook, anyone know how?

Hi, That web site www.floatworm.weebly.com  has 7" worms and they are float real high with a 3/0 hook. This guy that pours them mix the right floating bubbers with plastic and he has it done pat. They do not tear no diffnert then any other worms on the market today. You might get 2 or 3 fish less on he's floating worms but they do catch a lot of fish. I should know :-)

By the way you better wear a mask when you mix those bubbers with the plastic or you will be sick later in life. Make sure you wear a mask and eye wear also. It can get into your eyes also.

By the way at that guys site he has free shipping on all lures.

We will try adding this to liquid before next week is up, its not a user friendly material in the powder. I think a company that went out of business did this so I will try for you and get back. Probably sample it in a 1/2 pint and should not be a problem so there is shaking room (no guarantee it will work yet). I will send the first couple of guys up top if you will e-mail me @ no charge so you can test it in your application and pass your 2 cents here, see if its worth messing with????

Jeff

Here is an idea I've toyed with, but never tried; get a foaming soap dispenser and fill it with your plastic of choice (in liquid form of course) then pump it out of the foaming soap dispenser and into an injection mold syringe and from there to your mold. When the baits come out they should have about the same consistency of a sponge. Now dip your baits into a bucket of non foamy plastic to give it a protective coating. In theory this should work, but I haven't used soft plastics very much.

I whipped the hot plastisol with a hand whisk (kitchen type whisk) and got some really high floating baits. It is a PITA, and possibly not scalable for production, but the old Creme Devil's Tongue is made in a similar manner with actual air bubbles imbedded in the plastic. 

Obviously, hot plastic is hot, so no exposed skin. The trick is finding the right temperature... to hot, and the bubbles rise to the top and burst, and to cold, the plastic won't pour or shoot properly.

You whip it. Whip it good. 

• Like 1

I whipped the hot plastisol with a hand whisk (kitchen type whisk) and got some really high floating baits. It is a PITA, and possibly not scalable for production, but the old Creme Devil's Tongue is made in a similar manner with actual air bubbles imbedded in the plastic. 

Obviously, hot plastic is hot, so no exposed skin. The trick is finding the right temperature... to hot, and the bubbles rise to the top and burst, and to cold, the plastic won't pour or shoot properly.

You whip it. Whip it good.

This is a very similar idea to my idea of forcing the plastisol through a foaming soap pump, which do you think would be more effective?

I Still have the can marked liquid micro bubbles I never tried, I think it was back when our building caved in and didn't get to it.

I think I will add xx gallons of liquid in a 5 gallon bucket and top it off with floating additive, in my head it will be approx like pouring our hardener not the paste hardener. More like honey at the worst thickness and hardener at the best. Not sure what to really price it at except material and time. Anyone really need this done? I'm not guaranteeing other than I can make it happen the rest will be trial and error...

jeff@mf