shakyhead10

Newbie Here

Hey everyone. This is my first post.  I've been getting on here a lot and enjoy the forum. Have a few questions as my mold and injector arrived today.  How much glitter is to much say per 4 ounces.  Do I mix my scent into the plastic with my colorant, if so how much or do I just add it to the bags? Or both.  Really looking forward to this and the wife is actually wanting to do it as well so that's a plus.  We have a spare microwave to use in our shop.

As far as the glitter goes too much is when it affects the color you are trying to achieve it's really personal preference start off with a little you can always add but can never remove :wink: , I tend to add my glitter after cooking as it settles in a bunch when added to cold plastisol. I add scent to the plastic before cooking with the colorant and add to bag as well. Remember adding scent will tend to soften the plastic a bit so adding to much may make your end product to soft.

And welcome to TU!! You'll find practically every (and I mean EVERY!!) answer to any question you could imagine here and you'll find all the folks here to be encouraging and very helpful. I know I have benefitted greatly by being here and my learning curve was flattened considerably.

For some reason I can't edit my reply so I'm reposting with the edit....

And welcome to TU!! You'll find practically every (and I mean EVERY!!) answer to any question you could imagine here and you'll find all the folks here to be encouraging and very helpful. I know I have benefitted greatly by being here and my learning curve was flattened considerably.

By the by... I am new to soft plastics myself but to answer your question, I use 1/4 tsp to a 4oz. portion of plastisol. As far as plastisol goes, try everybody's stuff out before settling on one brand... Most folks will gladly send you a sample to try out.... I'm sure you're aware that there are several manufacturers out there, all with different grades (soft, medium, hard and more!) of plastisol... I am currently trying quite a few and have developed some pretty good ideas about what I do and don't like about each brand.... Personally, I prefer softer plastics as I feel they have better action (at the potential cost of durability, but if I'm only catching one fish per worm I'm ok with that...) but with other lures that I will be making in the near future I believe I'll find that a firmer plastic would work better.... Like I said, try as many out as you can...

Get the measuring spoon set from lurecraft.This will really help from adding to much.Less is better.You can always add more glitter.You can add scent to your cooked plastic. Just squirt some in.Also add to finished baits.

Yea I do feel fortunate she's wanting to do it.  We even bought some plaster paris and some clay for her to mess around with making diferent molds. Shes a teacher so she's usually at home bored through the summer.  I have some molds from basstackle and got the twinjector.

Depends on how much plastic you are heating. I usually do 4oz at a time, and with that I do 30 seconds twice, then drop down to 10-15 at a time. You will definitely be better off with shorter duration between stirs.