bassbug22

What Is The Best Material For Making A Lead Mold

I have just finished making some blade baits have them EDM wire cut have approx. 70 to 80.

Now I need to make a mold to pour the lead.

Can't use a do it mold since the blade bait is a lot longer then a typical blade bait.

So my question is what is the best material for making a mold so that I can pour my lead.

I already have a pattern for the mold..

need something high temp material ..

need some help

Thanks

I have purchased 2 of these and still cannot get a decent mold out of them. The instructions that they send with them are blurry and the pictures are so faded that you can't make them out. I have e mailed both the admin and sales dept of Hilts web sit three weeks ago and STILL HAVE NOT HAD AN ANSWER. Does any one have a clear set of instructions'S

there is High temp silicone made for that but the one I'm thinking of needs to be pressed then cured in an oven but it's the same stuff used for spin casting so do a search with those keywords.

Makes excellent molds.You have to cure the high temp silicone under pressure in a vulcanizer at 300 degrees or so depending on the compound.  This melts it down and the pressure makes it flow around the item, forming all the details into the mold.  Heat and pressure is applied for a specific time depending on the type of compound and thickness. This process cures the compound into a mold of the item you want to duplicate that withstands high heat through 1000 plus mold uses.  After the cure and cool down, you cut the gates needed to fill the mold cavity with melted lead.  

Charlie

I like silicon best  for my needs(amateur). Just the same stuff I use for making plastic bait molds. Works, price is reasonable for molds I don't use lots, but haven't used it hundreds of times to see how it holds up. Have also just used pop sprayed with high heat enamel. Works ok, but flash to deal with.  Maybe just my mold making technique is not fantastic. Bondo works too, but I ruined my mold overheating it.