bluetickhound

Neutralizing Plastisol Stank....

Having been at this for a little over a month or so, I still have plastics that stink to high heaven even though they are fully cured. I have the garlic, anise, shad, coffee.... You get the picture... cover ups but is there anything out there that will kill the plastisol odor in unscented baits? I have used plastisol from a few different sources and they all smell awful.... I notice that my old store bought plastics don't seem to have the same odor so there has to be a method or product out there that can moderate this oroblem for me. In my smaller worms it hasn't really been a problem but now that I'm doing larger baits I feel like I'm missing bites because of the odor... I actually saw a fish take one of my flukes and immediately blow it out....

I use a presto pot also... I have found a few of my old store boughts that do have the plastic-y smell I'm talking about but they are also essentially hand pour type baits.... I did finally connect on a two pounder on one of my flukes yesterday so I know that they actually WILL catch fish...

Odo-Ban works on my tennis shoes . LOL Just messing with ya no harm intened . Plastic is going to stink to some degree no matter what . Guess I give away a little of what I know helps and only helps . WD 40 yep that is what I said . One two drops per bag . No more . It can change the color of the baits . Any organic scented oil made from the real critter . I prefer Menhaden oil .  Now this is just my nickle and dime here there are a thousand beliefs on the subject . Check me out on this . Drop a hand full of dug worms in a glass jar . sit it in the hot sun . Won't be long until they look like shoe string patatoe chips . Oil will collect in the jar . Use that for scent in the bag . Don't cook it in and be prepared if your baits hang around to long cause the next time you open the bag ya just might feel the need to up chuck .

I have tried a few brands of plastisol, and all the ones I have used, if you pour / inject your lures, and leave them on your trays for 3 weeks, the smell should be gone. Usually in the lures from store that smell, those were bagged fairly soon after removing from the injector I would bet. There is one saltwater brand that I used to use a long time ago, that evidently changed their plastisol. They must bag it fast, it has the strongest smell, I forget what brand plastisol it is, its the fresh vinyl smell. Anyway, if you leave they cure in the open a/c, you should get rid of your problem.

I think MonteSS had it right.... Last night I heated my plastic up verrrrrrrrry slowly... It took like 35-40 minutes to grt it ready to pour but the baits are very much improved over the last go around... I had been putting plastic in the pot, heating up in increments but still getting ready in around 15- 20 minutes or so

Every year I rinse most of my soft baits with dish soap and then place them in a large bowl of water to rinse the soap off of them. I do this because they have some kind of oil in them. This spring of 2020 I noticed the soft baits that I made were very oily so I tried something different. I washed them and dried them and then rolled them in Kosher Salt. It keeps them dry and it cuts the smell down a little bit. I also used a little Anise scent. Make sure you put some Kosher salt in the plastic bag that you store the baits.

1591649394125177333583.jpg

Edited by Eric Smith
Add photo
  • Like 1