Coley

Airbrush

I paint with a H-S Ultra and I like the smooth operation of the valve and it throws out a good stream of paint.  Got a good deal on it from a local airbrush shop as a starter brush.  I just looked at the Infinity 2 in 1 brush on line at the HS site and it looks like a great brush with features that makes it a strong replacement for when the one I have gets cratered by dropping it on floor.  H-S are well made german airbrushes and I would put in the class as Iwata.  The only concern I would have is parts as this line of airbrush is not one of the 'common' brands out there.

Ed,

I "cured" the dropped brush damage by putting a strip of old carpet down over the concrete in my painting area. It hasn't really gotten too dirty in over five years, and I haven't damage a brush since I put it down.

Thank goodness I haven't dropped my Iwata yet but that was one of those "Dang!!! Why didn't I think of that??" facepalm moments.... I'll be getting a piece of scrap carpet on the way home tonight. Thanks Mark!!

There are a number of good airbrushes out there.  My way of thinking is to pick one that you feel like staying with and using a lot.  Next thing you know you get 'the feel' of it and enjoying painting lures or what ever.  Every now and then the question comes up "what's the best? and there are many rationales for what is "best"  - price, ease of use, airbrush and its parts availability, how much air it uses, what size needles/nozzles there are for the AB, how easy it to clean out and put back together, what kind of paint you plan to use, and never mind what colors.  It's easier to pick out a new pickup truck than what airbrush to get.  You don't have to spend mega bucks for an airbrush but get one you can afford and use it.

True enough... I'm not a golfer but I have 20+ handicapper friends that think nothing of spending 3 grand for a set of sticks.... I tell 'em "phil Mickleson could tie a flat rock to the end of a crooked stick and still beat you by ten strokes.... Good equipment is great to have, no doubt but any tool is only as good as the talent holding it... An adequate airbrush in the hands of a master will produce magnificent results while the very finest AB in the world in the hands of a hamfist is practically worthless... The "best" airbrush is the one you have practiced (countless hours in my case) with and can get the results you desire from... In my shop it's an Iwata.

One thing that Ed touched on is the availability of parts. To me that's a big part of what airbrush to buy. You can have the finest airbrush in the world and if you have to wait weeks or more for parts then while it's just sitting on your shelf it's practically worthless.

just my :twocents: .......................Ben