Mad Moose Baits

Gst International Lacquer Based Concrete Sealer As A Topcoat

I've probably said to much on this stuff already.... But here I go again! I love the way it looks on a lure, almost like there's no top coat at all, it just shines. I hate waiting for a week for it to cure, but it's worth the wait in my opinion. BTW, my buzz bait blade looks awfully good right now. A couple more days and I will try it out and see how it goes!

A-Mac,

Mine came in the mail today.I haven't opened it yet but it sure sounds thin when I shake it...Nathan

Yeah, I was hoping you already cracked the can!  The instruction also said to stir well too, so maybe all the "solids" have just precipitated out.

www.eaglesealer.com/images/uploads/product-misc/doc-application-guide.pdf

What I don't understand is why some of these concrete sealers are not waterproof. I would think that something that is going to be exposed to the weather should be waterproof. :?

Ben

I think most companies just avoid using the terminology "waterproof."  It's a pretty stout claim to back on a product.  I'd be surprised if auto clears even claim they are waterproof.  Also, if average joe decides he doesn't want to use if for concrete (and slaps it on a crankbait!), or applies it incorrectly to a surface, then they are free of liability.

I have a couple lures hanging with the eagle brand now.  So far, so good.  It has a close consistency to dick nites.  It does have an odor to it, but I think Solarez and DN is worse.  Nevertheless, garage door is open, just because some of the deadliest contaminants you can't sense. 

If this stuff ends up being worthy, I'll probably get a few tin paint cans from Ace and divi it out.  I bet the shelf life hit's it before I can use a gallon.

I bought a gallon of the Super Seal 30 which is supposed to be the best of the concrete sealers. Tried it on my cedar Musky baits that I have been making for years. Does not even come close to etex or ex74 as far as deep sheen finish or hardness. Will peel when marred by big fish, and never hardens so you can't put  a fingernail mark in it. Might be ok for personal bass or walleye baits, but will NEVER stand up to the abuse of big, toothy fish. I am always looking for a better mouse trap, but I don't beleve this is the answer......MHO

Rod

• Like 1

So I rushed a jointed wakebait, gave it 1 dip coat of eagle supreme, and fished it 10 hrs later for about an hour.  It looks perfect still.  There is no hook rash apparent and no paint loss in the hinges.  Oh, and it was exposed to the sun with max temp of 106F all day. I have a couple other lures that I did 4 dips (2hrs between each coat) and they are still a little soft.  I think next time I do multiple dips (because it is incredibly shiny with 4 coats).  I plan to limit it to 2 coats per day next time with 2-4hrs between coats.  I think this will allow for the coating to harden much faster.

Hey guys,

I've had to get some orders done..sorry for the late report.I sealed up a couple small blocks of wood with Solarez and sprayed one with lacquer paint and the other with enamel paint.Both blocks were then dipped and hung.To my surprise Eagle didn't react with the enamel paint..(It seems anything with a solvent base reacts with enamel) I dipped both twice about a hour apart...This was all today...I'll checked the hardness over the next couple days...Nathan. PS.....Both have a beautiful shine to them!!

Thanks for the report A-Mac. If the long term results are favorable I may have to give it a try. I've got so dang many different top coats now that I'm getting a little leery of buying yet another one. One good thing about the Eagle is that it can be bought locally.

thanks again,

Ben

And unlike most other coats, this one has an alternative use!  I have a couple cranks that are curing now to see how the sealer adheres to the edges.  But by the looks of things so far, I think it should hold up.

I don't have a menard's around my parts but stumbled into this from Home Depot, anybody try it:

Famowood 1-gal. Famowood Glaze Coat Clear Epoxy

it's not cheap but still might be worth testing.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/topic/24478-garco-or-famowood-users/?hl=famowood

Maybe this will help you.

I don't have a menard's around my parts but stumbled into this from Home Depot, anybody try it:

Famowood 1-gal. Famowood Glaze Coat Clear Epoxy

it's not cheap but still might be worth testing.

It's very similar to e-tex.  I've used it to clear coat a guitar I painted before.  

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj100/amcalexa/270387_10100664436570718_13713245_61085162_3838959_n.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj100/amcalexa/268375_10100664436236388_13713245_61085153_2207566_a.jpg

You have to have a way to turn the lures for several hours too.  In this case, I made a giant turner

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj100/amcalexa/262201_10100664435527808_13713245_61085131_1890148_n.jpg

Edited by A-Mac

Ok...Checked the wood blocks this morning...I may have spoke too soon on the reaction with enamel paint...this morning I noticed the paint ran on one side of the block only ....It may haven been the paint wasn't set all the way on that side....The other three sides of the block and the block sprayed with lacquer look great and are noticibly harder than yesterday .The instructions say this can be driven on in 48 hrs so it obviously hardens over time...Nathan

Ok...Checked the wood blocks this morning...I may have spoke too soon on the reaction with enamel paint...this morning I noticed the paint ran on one side of the block only ....It may haven been the paint wasn't set all the way on that side....The other three sides of the block and the block sprayed with lacquer look great and are noticibly harder than yesterday .The instructions say this can be driven on in 48 hrs so it obviously hardens over time...Nathan

I haven't fished the crankbaits that recieved 4 coats yet.  However, they are considerably harder after about 5 days so far.  My wakebait that I dipped 1 coat was hard by the next day.  I haven't had any adverse reactions using createx, but I did heat set my lures with a hair dryer very thouroughly before dipping.  So far I would say the thickness of the coatings are about equivalent to DN.  I think the Eagle is a little more glossy in comparison (more even and smooth gloss) to DN.  I haven't tried to attack any of the lures to test overall durability yet.  I normally reserve such punishments for the lures that fail to work. 

A-mac,

Have you tried heat setting the dip coats after they appear dry to the touch, to accelerate the chemical process that results in the solvent evaporating?

I found that, if I did that several times between dips with a water borne urethane I was able to redip in one hour, instead of two, and fish the lure the next day.

A-mac,

Have you tried heat setting the dip coats after they appear dry to the touch, to accelerate the chemical process that results in the solvent evaporating?

I found that, if I did that several times between dips with a water borne urethane I was able to redip in one hour, instead of two, and fish the lure the next day.

I haven't.  My past experiences with trying to accelerate cure times has always ended up with failure.  I have been turning on a box fan (low setting) on the lures an hour after dip.  I figure just a little moving air will help to evaporate the solvent.  I've had other coats bubble up before, from the air underneath inside the lure expanding out.

From the looks of things, I consider the cure time similar to DN.  Sure you can fish them a couple days after dipping but a full cure isn't achieved until at least a week later.  For personal use, I wouldn't hesitate to use a lure that has had a dip or two the next day.  4 dips though, it's still pretty soft the next day.