Mad Moose Baits

Gst International Lacquer Based Concrete Sealer As A Topcoat

This stuff is rock solid, so after a two week cure now, I went out and tossed one of my old test crankbaits I coated in it 30-50ft in the air and let it smash onto the concrete just to see, I did this probably two dozen times, my wife gave me a funny look. I cannot hardly tell, I can only find some minor blemishes, no cracks, nothing.

I'm sold. D2T will be a thing of the past for me now. Now my nurse wife can stop stealing big 10mL syringes for me to measure my D2T out accurately!

My sample arrived this evening.  I'll try dipping something tomorrow, and let you know how it goes.

Their site says:

Apply in thin coats. Do not exceed three coats of sealer. Allow each coat to dry for a minimum of 4-6 hours between coats. Applying an additional coat of sealer to a surface that is tacky, milky or has ridges will not improve the overall appearance of the floor and will only compound existing problems. Allow the final coat of sealer to dry for 24-48 hours depending on weather conditions before allowing vehicle traffic.

Note: Allow for 48-72 hours dry time for floors sealed with solvent based sealers before applying Residentialor Commercial Wax. Use xylene for tool and sprayer clean-up.

I may get only two coats on something tomorrow, but I should be able to tell if it's user friendly.  I plan to have both front and rear doors of my garage open, and a fan blowing from back to front, so I don't get knocked out by the fumes.

I plan to let it drip back into the open can.  If it's going to be a problem, I want to find out now, before I order a bigger container.

Once I've made the first dip, I'll get an idea of how fast it dries, and whether I can speed the between dip time by using a hair dryer periodically.  But I want all the solvent to have evaporated first.  I'm allergic to flash fires and explosions.

Edited by mark poulson

Other than the smell, this stuff is easy to use, so far.  I did my dipping outside, and brought the samples back into my garage once they'd stopped dripping to dry over my work bench.  There is a definite solvent smell when you open the can and dip the lure, but it goes away almost completely once the lure is hard and handleable, in about an hour.

I dipped three test pieces today, a plain piece of bare PVC trimboard, a PVC crank that had already been painted and top coated with SC9000 interior urethane, and a 1.5 squarebill plastic knockoff, again painted and top coated with urethane.  I hit them all with a hair dryer twice, and redipped them after 4 hours, with no wrinkling or other problems.

They were all dry to the touch and handleable in an hour, but I waited the minimum recommended (4 hours) before recoating.

I let them all drip back into the can. and removed the drips from the lure bottoms with my finger, and scraped it back into the can, too, to try and give it a worst case test.

I'll know more later today.  

Right now, I'm betting I could fish them tomorrow.  They felt dry and hard after the first four hours.  

This stuff is designed for coating concrete, which has residual moisture in it all the time.

I'm betting that residual moisture, plus the weight of a car driving on it, is why they say wait 48 hours before using the coated surface.

My experience with Glaze and Seal, a similar masonry coating, leads me to believe they err on the side of caution, in terms of curing time.  Once it's clear and hard, it's good for light foot traffic.  But don't recoat until it is truly clear.  If you put it on too thick, it will show a blueish haze that will never go away.

I'm going to put hooks on the 1.5 squarebill and fish it tomorrow, so I can see how it holds up.

If it holds up okay, I'll paint a couple of test lures this coming week with Createx and top coat them with it, with no SC9000 urethane coating, to see if it affects the paint.

Fingers crossed!

There is a faint smell after it is done curing...this is eliminated by rinsing the bait

No Mark, not tried a hair dryer

Yesterday I fished the lure I dipped on the day before.  I dipped it twice, four hours between dips, and hit it with a hair dryer after each dip had dried to the touch.

The lure held up fine yesterday, even after it spent most of the day on the deck in the hot sun.

I just went out and checked it, and it's good, and hard as a rock.

This week I'm going to do a dip of a painted lure, with no other top coat, to see how it reacts with Createx-type water-based acrylic paint.