Mad Moose Baits

Gst International Lacquer Based Concrete Sealer As A Topcoat

Wanted to add some info from my recent experience with GST. When I first used it earlier this year it went on great dipping as it was water thin.  I stored a smaller amount in a sealed canning jar that I dipped the baits in.  After a short reprieve from lure building early in the summer I did a batch of baits and at the time was attributing the issues I had with the heat of summer. Baits were becoming tacky almost immediately and not flowing out as easily. I thought the heat was causing them to start setting up even faster than before.  Well after opening my jar the other night to dip some baits the GST was hard enough that I would never be able to dip a bait again.  I believe what happened over time was the jar began to attain a higher viscosity as the material was exposed and dripped back into the jar in the steady, but thin stream. By repeatedly doing this the material was beginning to set and ultimately over time the whole jar began to harden.  Has anyone else seen their concrete sealers react like this?  I have only used about 8 ounces out of the gallon jug I have and it only has affected the smaller container as the gallon jug is like new still.

DaveB.

KelpKritter

Mark, I have been following the other thread and it looks interesting as well. One thing about GST that I had a problem with is the little excess on the drip edge of the bait always had a little extra material even after wiping away because it is so thin. After s couple of coats that remained soft even after extended cute times. This resulted in a number of baits sticking together at the joint. This ruined a few baits. I still have about 120 ounces of GST and have eight baits to finish so I am going to try a few things to keep learning about it.

DaveB.

KelpKritter

Holy sweet mother, that's a big post.  Being new to the game I just finished reading all of it and greatly appreciate all the trial and error work by everyone, all of this has cut the learning curve WAY down.  Ohio still isn't quite as "smart" as California, so we've got GST readily available.  Time for a trip to the store.  Thanks again guys, great topic!

Jason

A buddy picked up some GST for me while out of state I was super pumped to try it. It has ruined evet bait I've dipped in it. :( I've even pre dipped in floor shine before and let dry for a few hours and it has eaten through it and wrinkled. I seem to be the guy that if it's perfect for everyone else it won't work at all for though. Lol have had nothing but great results though with the AC1315 though, so hoping it stays that way.

I've stopped using gst. It just didn't hold up very well and some of the lures I sealed last year still smell. On top of all that, I didn't like how it reacted with soft plastics. I have one lure that was in contact with a plastic worm for a day or so and the gst gummed up and seemed to fall away. Now you can see the wood. It's back to good old etex for me.

Give AC1315 a try.  I've been using it for 6 months, and no problems so far.  

I build with PVC trimboard, so it's already waterproof, but I paint with Createx, which is not.

I dip in a dipping jar, let the bait hang over the jar until it stops dripping, use my finger to remove the last drops, which I wipe on the edge of the jar, and let it hang for 15 minutes.  I hit it lightly with a hair dryer, and again in another 15 minutes.  After an hour it's dry enough to handle, and I fish it the next day, if I want to.

It is solvent-based, so it can affect sharpie detailing.  I hit my sharpie details with the hair dryer, too.  Black is pretty stable, but red and chartreuse seem to run more, so I spray a coat of clear Createx over them before I dip.

Here's where I get mine.  I bought the smallest jar to try it out, and I'm now on my first quart.

http://www.directcolors.com/product/ac-1315-high-gloss-concrete-sealer/

I am not connected with them in any way, other than loving their product.  I live in CA, so I called to see if they would sell to me, and the woman I spoke to said they will ship to any state.

Give AC1315 a try.  I've been using it for 6 months, and no problems so far.  

I build with PVC trimboard, so it's already waterproof, but I paint with Createx, which is not.

I dip in a dipping jar, let the bait hang over the jar until it stops dripping, use my finger to remove the last drops, which I wipe on the edge of the jar, and let it hang for 15 minutes.  I hit it lightly with a hair dryer, and again in another 15 minutes.  After an hour it's dry enough to handle, and I fish it the next day, if I want to.

It is solvent-based, so it can affect sharpie detailing.  I hit my sharpie details with the hair dryer, too.  Black is pretty stable, but red and chartreuse seem to run more, so I spray a coat of clear Createx over them before I dip.

Here's where I get mine.  I bought the smallest jar to try it out, and I'm now on my first quart.

http://www.directcolors.com/product/ac-1315-high-gloss-concrete-sealer/

I am not connected with them in any way, other than loving their product.  I live in CA, so I called to see if they would sell to me, and the woman I spoke to said they will ship to any state.

Mark,

It's good to be back on the forum. It's the depths of winter up north so I'm back to building again. How does that stuff hold up after time? I'm concerned that it won't be much different than GST.

Welcome back.

I've been using it for six months, and it's held up fine so far.

One jerkbait I used got hammered by a half dozen stripers, and some of the finish looked worn, so I redipped it, and it's fine now.  The worn look was just on the surface, and redipping it completely restored it's clear finish.

Has anyone else had the issue of this separating in the storage jar? I used it about two months ago and it was fine. Now when I look at the jar it has about an inch of thicker solids at the top. Simply shaking the jar mixed it back for the time being but it had tons of bubbles. After 10 minutes of sitting it went back to separated.

My local Menards must have had some really old stuff. I opened the second gallon that I purchased at the same time last year for a different outdoor project that I have still not gotten to. It was unopened, when I poured it into my mason jar it came out already partially separated. It took a few minutes but I had about 4" of clear liquid at the bottom and about 1 1/2" of a thicker darker more solid liquid at the top. Also this can had tons of debris floating around in it. It looked to be rust particles from inside the can? 

I haven't been messing with making tackle for quite some time; family obligations got in the way.

-

But, I hope to get back to it shortly; and this thread and the hopes of a simpler topcoat has me excited.

-

I read the whole thread, and thanks to everyone for the wealth of info........I didn't see this mentioned previously; but for the guys using rattle can base coat; try a lacquer based product.

-

I like to use a spray can base coat if I can. And since GST was lacquer based; I figured a lacquer based spray paint should be a good option. As I imagine; 2 lacquer based products should play well together?

-

And indeed they do. Walmart and Home Depot carry white, black and clear lacquer spray paint. (I can't think of the name brand at the moment) But they work great as a base coat. Dips wonderfully in gst without a single wrinkle or adverse effect.

-

The dry time for me and the GST has me a bit impatient; so I'm gonna give the ole ac1315 a try too.