Mad Moose Baits

Gst International Lacquer Based Concrete Sealer As A Topcoat

Has anyone trying the Eagle brand from Home Depot noticed that in the description of the product it says it is not UV resistant? Just wondering how much of a problem this is going to be.

Ben

The eagle supreme says that it is non-yellowing... so I presumed this to mean the same.  I don't think it would do much good as a concrete coating if it couldn't take the sun. I figure fishing lures are never going to see a comparable amount of exposure either... unless it's hung in a tree.  Of course, time will tell.

Edited by A-Mac

I was just going by what it says under the product specifications on Home Depot's website. You can find where it says that it's not UV resistant at the link below. Just click on "Specifications" once you get to the site.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eagle-1-Gal-Gloss-Coat-Clear-Wet-Look-Solvent-Based-Acrylic-Concrete-Sealer-EUC1/203075971#product_description

Ben

I was just going by what it says under the product specifications on Home Depot's website. You can find where it says that it's not UV resistant at the link below. Just click on "Specifications" once you get to the site.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eagle-1-Gal-Gloss-Coat-Clear-Wet-Look-Solvent-Based-Acrylic-Concrete-Sealer-EUC1/203075971#product_description

Ben

This is kind of contradicting to the product overview

"Non-yellowing UV resistant"

"UV stable"

However, the one I picked up the other day from the store was the eagle supreme gloss coat.  The one above is just for the gloss coat.  Under the specifications, the eagle supreme is labeled as uv resistant.  I paid around $21 for it, and it looks great... so far.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eagle-1-Gal-Supreme-Seal-Clear-High-Gloss-Solvent-Based-Acrylic-Concrete-Sealer-EU1/202374891#specifications

I painted up a crank I needed for a tourny. the other day in a hurry and dipped it in gst let it dry to the touch and dipped it again and let it dry for a day. Last night I fished a small tourny. 3 hrs long, I threw the bait into brushpiles the whole night. I pulled it back out of the rod locker this evening to look at it, it had hook rash down to the plastic on one side on the other side it had a chip out of it where I hit something when I cast it, also it had some check marks on the top of the bait around the eyes and other places. I think the lacquer in the gst eats into the paint and mixs with the paint if that makes any sense?

The next time I hope to have a few more coats of gst on it  and more dry time. I tried to post pic's of it but I just can't figure out how to do it.

Royce

Edited by rhersh

That interesting as I tried to look for whats available in concrete sealers locally.  I'd rather pick out a new color of socks.  There are so many types of sealers and their specification are so similar but different to make me want to just stay with Devcon 2 ton epoxy.  It's also easy to chase 'rabbits' when postings don't call out exactly what product is being discussed.  Even Devcon has more than 2 types of epoxy.  Oh well, if somebody can figure out what works for them power to them.  Meanwhile the chase for the grail continues.

That interesting as I tried to look for whats available in concrete sealers locally.  I'd rather pick out a new color of socks.  There are so many types of sealers and their specification are so similar but different to make me want to just stay with Devcon 2 ton epoxy.  It's also easy to chase 'rabbits' when postings don't call out exactly what product is being discussed.  Even Devcon has more than 2 types of epoxy.  Oh well, if somebody can figure out what works for them power to them.  Meanwhile the chase for the grail continues.

Amen to that.

• Like 1

I painted up a crank I needed for a tourny. the other day in a hurry and dipped it in gst let it dry to the touch and dipped it again and let it dry for a day. Last night I fished a small tourny. 3 hrs long, I threw the bait into brushpiles the whole night. I pulled it back out of the rod locker this evening to look at it, it had hook rash down to the plastic on one side on the other side it had a chip out of it where I hit something when I cast it, also it had some check marks on the top of the bait around the eyes and other places. I think the lacquer in the gst eats into the paint and mixs with the paint if that makes any sense?

The next time I hope to have a few more coats of gst on it  and more dry time. I tried to post pic's of it but I just can't figure out how to do it.

Royce

PM sent.

Ben

Thanks rayburn guy! That's as easy as mud once you figure out how to find your pic's on your computer. Im not very tech savvy, but you made it easy enough for me to do it thanks again Rayburn guy.

Here are the pic's of the lure I fished the other night, and the damage to it.001.JPG002.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

post-39501-0-57972100-1378381390_thumb.jpg

post-39501-0-83671400-1378381410_thumb.jpg

Thanks rayburn guy! That's as easy as mud once you figure out how to find your pic's on your computer. Im not very tech savvy, but you made it easy enough for me to do it thanks again Rayburn guy.

Here are the pic's of the lure I fished the other night, and the damage to it.attachicon.gif001.JPGattachicon.gif002.JPG

That was the same result I had with 2 coats and less than a day to cure. When I went 4 coats (2 hrs apart)and let it cure for the week my results were much more positive.

Definatley looks like A-Mac and I have two different products.Mine is: Eagle Gloss coat clear wet look solvent based acrylic concrete sealer....I Noticed A-Macs said it was oil based.....His maybe a better product for our use...I couldn't find the solid content on his....Mine is 25%...Nathan

Another note on the GST: I use vinyl dots for my dshad baits and cut them in half for my bluegill ears.

Well GST doesn't like them. It makes the edges curl. So I peeled the ears off a gill and drew ears on using a sharpie. There may have been a tiny bit of running but it seems to have held up. 

Guess this is another thing to experiment on!

Did a bit more research...A-Macs product is also 25% solids...If I had to choose between what I bought or the Eagle Supreme,I think the Supreme maybe a better product for our use....Just my two cents..Nathan

I was looking at the "ship to store" option on HomeDepot just now. Screwy but they won't ship A-Macs product to my store but no problems with shipping yours.

bill

I wouldn't kill yourselves trying to get the supreme just yet.  I've only conducted 1 test!  I did run into issues on one crankbait the other day when trying to rush from painting to clearing, but isn't this always the case? 

Nevertheless, on the lures that came out fine (which I allowed a solid 24 hours of paint drying) the finish looks incredible.  I hope to throw a few this weekend in my top 6 tourney.

Specifically Dick Nite S81 moisture cured urethane.  He sells other finishes that are not as durable.  You can find other vendors for moisture cured urethane on the web but the Dick Nite formulation is superior for crankbaits IMO.  Read up on it before you jump, it's a bear to store without "going off" and it ain't cheap - but it's good.

For Dick Nite, use this for a  TU discount:  http://www.dicknite.com/TU_Lander.htm  The delivered cost is around $50 per quart

The Solarez is a UV cured polyester resin like that used on surfboards.  It's relatively new to TU'ers so do a search and read up on it before you decide.  Like everything, it has pluses and minuses.

I wouldn't kill yourselves trying to get the supreme just yet. I've only conducted 1 test! I did run into issues on one crankbait the other day when trying to rush from painting to clearing, but isn't this always the case?

Nevertheless, on the lures that came out fine (which I allowed a solid 24 hours of paint drying) the finish looks incredible. I hope to throw a few this weekend in my top 6 tourney.