Mad Moose Baits

Gst International Lacquer Based Concrete Sealer As A Topcoat

I just used some GST, (first time in awhile)...I shook it up in case of separation . Dipped it and the bait was fully dried after one day with almost no smell to it. I am wondering if the key was shaking it up before I used it. I have dipped 4 more times since with the same result.

I'm new to crankbait carving, not painting of blanks. So my concerns is of the water proofing of the "prototype" for testing. Tell me if I'm wrong, but what I get out of this thread is it can be used as a sealer (Eagle Supreme, which I can get). Then a water base color (Createx) scheme can be put over the sealer. There seems to be a consensus that a Created Clear Coat should be put on at this point just for a buffer from the paint and the clear coat. Finally the Eagle brand can be used as a clear coat.

If this can be done, heats sets are a must for the paint and a cure time is needed for the Eagle. Is sanding need between layers of the Eagle on the sealer coats?

Am I right? Thanks for your thoughts.

Dale

Yes, there are guys using concrete sealer as a seal coat. I'm not one of them but I know a few who do. And yes, you will need to sand between seal coats if you want a smooth surface to paint on. Basically, depending on the wood your using, the first dip is going to raise the grain of the wood so when it's dry you'll need to sand it. After the second dip you might be good to go. You'll have to try it and see what it looks like. If it's still ruff you'll need to sand and dip again. One thing to watch out for is making sure the sealer is completely cured before moving on to paint. With GST it might be a few weeks??? If it's not dry it could bubble under your color coats when you heat set them. It's happened to me before on some different sealers I've used. If everything goes right and you have the paint work done, yes you will need to topcoat the lure with more GST. There is info in this thread on how many dips, time between dips, etc. Good luck!

• Like 1

I'm looking for a new topcoat as well, I have not been to happy with the AC1315 so I'm looking for something thin and light. I am unsure if I should get Gst or KBS but want to check all options. I am not sure which Gst everyone is referring to. Does anyone have a link? I know this is old but I'd hate to get the wrong sample. Thanks guys!

From what I've found out with AC1315, and read here about the other concrete sealers, they all seem to not play well with plastisol.  I still use it, but, when I do, I put a final layer of clear nail polish over it.  That way I don't have to worry about anything touching them.

Otherwise, it's like having my kids in the car.  "He touched me!".  Hahaha

• Like 1

Thanks for the link! I found it on their website without a price but home depot has Eagle high gloss and I think it's the same stuff but I'm not sure. Menard's is discontinuing it and the nearest store is 650 miles from me so I will probably be getting it online from somewhere. Unless Eagle is the same. I don't plan on it you hung plastics so if it cures good it will work just fine. AC1315 just won't cure over anything but epoxy for me. Even with a change of paint.

Does anyone have a good link to where I could possibly purchase eagle supreme or GST international online? I found both websites but it seems they both don't sell online to non-commercial people. I also found GST at Menard's but only in stores. Home Depot has eagle supreme but in 5 Gallon buckets. I definitely don't need 5 gallons. I'm willing to try both so anything can help. Thanks guys!