tukta

Chrome

I talked to a body shop asked what to use to paint chrome.I have nevr had any luck it always looked like sprayed aluminium. here is what they told me,you can spend a ton but if you take glossy black rustoleum spray that on first to a high shine then after its dry spray on Dupli-color chrome and does it ever look good I then paint over with the colors that im using on the lure. I have been painting clown pattern and it looks real good.

I've checked into several different chrome paints and, like Joe said, they are on the expensive side. At least the quality ones are. I haven't tried the Dupli-Color chrome over a black base coat, but have used a couple different silvers and they look much better over a black base coat. I'll have to give the Dupli-Color a try over black. Thanks for the heads up.

Ben

I talked to a body shop asked what to use to paint chrome.I have nevr had any luck it always looked like sprayed aluminium. here is what they told me,you can spend a ton but if you take glossy black rustoleum spray that on first to a high shine then after its dry spray on Dupli-color chrome and does it ever look good I then paint over with the colors that im using on the lure. I have been painting clown pattern and it looks real good.

Can you post a pic?  I'm curious to see how it looks.

Aren't most Dupli-Color products lacquer-based? Not really familiar with it. If so, be careful because Rustoleum is not.

I have experienced some wrinkling problems with Dupli-Color chrome before. It doesn't give me any trouble with acrylic paints, but some of the solvent based topcoats seem to be where problems start to happen. The way I worked around this is to make sure the Dupli-Color layers have fully dried and then apply a thin layer of epoxy so anything applied after the chrome paint can't get to it to react with it. This does add an extra step, but is the only foolproof way I've found to mix different solvent based components together without it ending up in a total mess right at the last step of the process.

Ben

One of the reasons I tried SC9000 water borne urethane was that it was supposed to not diminish or dull paint schemes, even metalics.

I found that was true.  The Solarez I'm now using also doesn't affect paint schemes, although some say it dulls them.  I haven had that experience.

Both finishes have a touch of some kind of solvent that will react to solvent based sharpies, so I spray a coat of Createx clear gloss over the sharpies if I don't want them to run.

It would probably do the same as a barrier between sovent based paints, but I don't know how it would affect adhesion.  

One of the things that is great about lacquer paint is the way one coat melts into the previous coat, so you really get almost a single layer when you're done, and it's really well bonded.  Putting a layer of water based paint between the lacquer coats would probably defeat that.

But I haven't really had a problem with paint coats delaminating if my topcoat doesn't fail.