texasfisherman1

Starting A Business. Legal Matters.

No smallmouth the thread went south when I said it was a standard practice for people starting out to give baits away.  And for some reason you have taken offense to it, when it's the truth.  All I said is that it was a common practice and I didn't say anyone had to do it, but I was kind enough to give an example of how it had worked out for me. 

i never took offense to  your 1st quoted statement.You just assumed i was and to assume makes an a$$ out of you and me! Please get off your stubborn horse and carefully read exactly what i have written in this entire thread.I gave him specific advice based upon 37 years in my own business.

Give the 15 year old prudent advice. Who's buying the equipment for him, explaning the caveats while showing him how to make soft-baits safely?  Oh wait a minute- a small Lee pot and some hand pour molds from Lurecraft and he's good to go-P-L-E-A-S-E! A small ,soft-plastics business is much more financially involved then $2-$400.00.( add a 0 in front of the decimel point) He should be studying hard and applying himself in school. Futhermore, just how is supposed to turn a profit while attending high school?

It's a shame he doesn't live in S.E.Pa. I'd offer him a summer job and let him get a real taste of a small tackle business.Most 15 year olds don't have excess $ to throw around. Some O.J.T. would ceratinly give hime the opportunity to make some money and gain hands on experience before foolisly spends hard earned money on equipment ,molds and plastic.

• Like 1

Oh wait a minute- a small Lee pot and some hand pour molds from Lurecraft and he's good to go-P-L-E-A-S-E! A small ,soft-plastics business is much more financially involved then $2-$400.00.( add a 0 in front of the decimel point)

Explain to me why this young man cannot start out with a Lee pot, considering my whole business started out with two Lee pots and 40 POP molds.  20 molds of two different types of jig trailers.  I was supplying 4 stores with this setup alone, and it was less than $300 to get started, including plastic, coloring and glitter.  I was working a full time job and had two small children, so why couldn't a 15 year old productive young man, not do this and go to school? 

Again I'm speaking from experience, especially since I have a 16 year old and a 13 year old son.  The 16 year old is taking Honors classes in high school and college classes as well.  He worked a part time job for most of the summer and during the school year he helps me in the shop, plus still he has time for his guitar and Xbox.  What would be wrong with an enterprising young man spending a Saturday making baits?  Your average high school kid is not going to spend all weekend long in his books.  And if he enjoys making baits in his spare time, why be against it?  And as far as the costs go, between the prices of Iphones, Ipads, Xbox, video games and computers, I don't think that $400-$600 is out of the question. 

I think it would be totally his and his parents decision whether the money was foolishly spent or not.  You really sound totally against the idea of a young man starting his own business, but yet you say you would bring him into your shop and work him and give him OJT.  So why not instead of being so discouraging give him some safety advice, some pointers on actually making baits and some advice to his parents on supervision.  I know several people on this forum alone who did their own OJT with good quality advice and encouragment from people who care on TU.  To say that you can only start a bait business by investing thousands of dollars is just not a true statement and I myself am living proof of that.  Sure the Lee pot days were hard work, but I gained a vast array of knowledge by starting out very small.  The same thing I've been encouraging this young man to do the whole time.  After all, the most I've said about this business venture is it's between him and his friends and maybe some neighbors.  Who knows he could start the next Berkley.  Let the young man dream and encourage his dreams to come true. 

bluetickhound, that's what I like to hear.  Positive comments. 

• Like 1

Mike I have talked to you several times on the phone.  You have given me great advice. Thank you.  I started my business with 1 gallon of plastic and a few colors and 2 molds.  Handed out some baits to friends and then next thing you know word spread.  Now I have a website and all that.  Not to mention a ton of molds.  I go through about 5 gallons of plastic every two months or so now.  I know thats not a lot comppared to some on here.  But hey its a start.  I am pretty sure that a 15 year old can do it if he wants to.  I am guessing everyone started out pretty much the same way.  No one woke up one day and said " I think I will go spend 20k and learn the bait making business".  We all started small just pouring for ourselves and a few friends and then next thing you know a hobby turned into away to make some extra money.   By no means am I ready to stop working my full time job.  I am working on doing that but its not going to happen tomorrow.   I just lost my train of thought.  so Ill go ahead and stop typing.  

• Like 1

Explain to me why this young man cannot start out with a Lee pot, considering my whole business started out with two Lee pots and 40 POP molds. 

It's pointless to argue or even repeat my advise to him - you seem to have all the answers for a lucrative,start-up,small plastics business w/ hand pour molds and a Lee pot.. It's 2013 -not 1995

Interesting that the young man hasn't post a response since the first page of this thread.  Bet he went on to other things (hopefully planning on what to get to get started on his business).  I think most young folks move on pretty quick after hearing old timers go on about what they know or experienced.  If he's ambitious he will likely move on.  

• Like 1

wow a good ole TU Donnybrook going on how'd I miss it :halo:  Wonder how discouraged he is now :mad:

Chris,

It's just a difference of opinions. :oooh:  :halo:  Any successful and legitimate business , that is going to produce a viable income ( after taxes and expenses)requires a substantial and continuos investment which far exceeds the cost of a Lee pot and hand pour and/or POP molds.

Edited for spelling

Edited by smallmouthaholic

Oh I hear ya Al I'm thinking that he's discouraged about posting anymore on the site not the business argument that's going on.

Ya know I will add something that may be of help, Texasfisherman1 take a look at http://www.bigboybaitco.com/ I believe when he started he was your age and appears to be doing quite well give him a e-mail he may offer some direction for ya.

Edited by Gon2long
  • Like 1

Oh I hear ya Al I'm thinking that he's discouraged about posting anymore on the site not the business argument that's going on.

Exactly my point. I hate to see anyone discouraged after a post.........especially a young man of only 15..............but that particular post is just begging for heated opinions.  I know the kid is a newbie on the site, but that's kinda like asking "Who makes the best plastic?".  It's a war just waiting to be started. 

Look.......there are many extremely talented members on this site who have been very successful in their business, but let's just try to remember that every one has their own way of doing things.  Doesn't mean the other person is wrong.  Hopefully, the young man will come back on the site and post a thing or two in response to all these ideas.  There is a ton of valuable information on here.  In the meantime, let's try to maintain our respect for other members without so much negativity.  Fair enough?

• Like 2

I'm so sorry for not posting everybody.I have been busy as I am having surgery tomorrow.I appreciate everybody's opinion and I have learned a lot. It sounds like its probably not a good idea for me to sell plastics any time soon. Thanks

Good luck with your surgery and please (!!) don't be discouraged or disheartened about the plastics business. I'm 47 and considering getting into business myself. I wish I had had your gumption when I was 15!! I said it halfway in jest but if you were so inclined, learning how to run a CNC machine now could pay huge dividends in the future... Just something to ponder.

Again, good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

• Like 1

Very well said Al. 

texasfisherman1, I hope everything goes well with your surgery and don't let anyone on here discourage you from a dream. 

I tell you what I'm going to do to encourage you, if you would like it, I have a couple of extra Lee pots, you're more than welcome to one free of charge.  Even if you don't sell baits, you can make some for yourself and fish with them.  That's also the way that a lot of us started out.  PM me if you're interested and I'll give you my phone number.  I'll talk to your Dad or Mom and if they ok it, then the pot is yours.  Also I have a few molds that I'll give you too.  A couple of POP molds so it will help give you an idea of how to make your own and there's a couple of silicone molds I'll also throw in.  Who knows maybe somebody will chime in and send you a little plastic too.  I'm the RA leader at our church and also on the children's and youth committees and I think it's great you have a desire to start a hobby that's more addictive than anything you can think of.  It's a good hobby that will keep you out of trouble.  Just PM me if you're interested. 

• Like 2

I'm so sorry for not posting everybody.I have been busy as I am having surgery tomorrow.I appreciate everybody's opinion and I have learned a lot. It sounds like its probably not a good idea for me to sell plastics any time soon. Thanks

I'm sure I speak for all TU members when I say wishing you a speedy recovery.  Come back and join us soon! 

You naysayers ought to be ashamed of yourselves! Here we have a young man that is not only interested in fishing but in making his own lures as well. The majority of today's generation won't even pull themselves away from the TV or video games to go outside! Regardless of whether or not he's ready to start a bait business he shouldn't be anything but encouraged! Don't let these guys discourage you, anything you want to do is possible it just takes the drive to do it.

@Texasfisherman

Where abouts in Texas are you from? I live in odessa, if you are anywhere near me you have an open invitation to come check out my setup and play around a little. If distance won't permit that, just let me know if there's anything you need to get started that these awesome gents haven't provided already and I'll send what I can!

• Like 1

Here's the deal kid.  You first need to find out if you even like pouring plastics.  If its not something you wind up enjoying then everything else is moot.  Sounds like you have lots of stuff coming your way so you can find out. 

Fair warning.  If you catch a fish on a bait you made yourself you will be hooked, and won't be able to stop even if you never sell a single worm. 

Edited by Bob La Londe
  • Like 1

Guest Gangel

3 things....

1.  You can start a business on 5 bucks.  No matter what anyone says.  Until the day I die, I will stand by that.

2.  Discussions like this are needed.  No matter what you think about "looking cool" or "being mean".  REAL answers come out, and REAL reactions.  Discussions like this help you learn what people really are.

3.  Now that you guys hit the guilty stage of your discussion, don't over do it.  You aren't going to be really helping him with 100's of dollars of stuff.  Help him directionalize and understand the basics.  If someone wants to be a surgeon you don't give them a live or dead body and a knife and say "practice".  If they want to do brain surgery, you just give them the head!! hahahahah, little humor there.

I have learned also with a "5 dollar" business you really read ALOT.  You find the best deals really fast.

3 things....

1.  You can start a business on 5 bucks.  No matter what anyone says.  Until the day I die, I will stand by that.

I have learned also with a "5 dollar" business you really read ALOT.  You find the best deals really fast.

Surely you,if anyone can do so. :eek:

So kindly explain what the business is and how you can continue to grow w/ a starting  investment of $5.00. The world is full of entrepreneurial dreamers- a few succeed but most talk about shoulda.-coulda-.wouldda.

Any busines that produces a good,sustaining income (after taxes) requires continuos monetary investments.

Any busines that produces a good,sustaining income (after taxes) requires continuos monetary investments.

that is the problem I always have, I get to the point where I need to either get bigger or quit, so I get bigger and should have quit :drool:

I started my business with 50 bucks, price of a lead pot, lead and hooks