CNC Molds N Stuff

Intersting Wire Bending Tool

That spot welder would be the ticket for closing spinner bait blade arm loops.

It looks like he spot welds, but then goes back and silver solders those joints.  We had a discussion here on TU a while back about the effectiveness of trying to spot weld two round wires together before.  Maybe I should ask over on SEJW.  I am sure Ernie Lemkuhler (sp) or one of the other molten metal wizards over there would know if it can be done and if it would be cost effective. 

Edited by Bob La Londe

Me either?????

This seems to happen to many video posts some we can see and others don't work???

Maybe this one will work for you.

Other wise youtube search: making wire gears Arthur Ganson

Bob that is an interesting video. Way too many holes to drill for me though.

While it appears fairly simple I would think it would be more difficult to make than one realizes. I suppose simplified versions could be made with less holes and placed exactly where a guy needed them to make certain size wireforms.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn

I'm pretty sure spot welding affects the temper of spinnerbait wire.  Usually, heat like that removes temper, making that spot easily bent.

Rayburn Ben would know.  He's a metal worker.

Tempering depends on a lot of different variables Mark. Chemical composition of the base material, carbon content, temperature it's heated to, how long it's held at that temperature, how the temp. is brought down and how fast, etc. etc. As a general rule the fast heating and cooling, like that seen in welding processes, will make a metal brittle at the weld site. This is why they have stress relief procedures for certain metal components that have welded joints.

As for spot welds on wire I can only give you my best guess as I've never tried it. I would believe that the general properties outlined above would still hold true.

Ben

Chris,  I was thinking of you when I posted it. 

Yeah I was looking at the bender Dubro makes for model plane parts.

It can do some pretty large wire diameters and price wise it isn't that bad.

Or I may try to make a similiar one to theirs.

I just don't want to drill 10,000 holes like the one you linked to.lol

I like the whole concept.

Once you make the actual bending tool with the pin, which looks to me like the trickiest part, you can take a flat steel plate, drill a center pivot hole, and then add holes wherever you need to for different wire shapes.

I don't do much wire bending, so I won't be trying it any time soon, but I do appreciate the whole concept, and his execution.