Thembonez

Keeping Assembly Rings Clear

How are you all keeping your assembly rings clear when clear coating? I dip and hang, but find clearing the back ring to be a pain for every bait. I do take a foam brush and try to "clean" the runoff while the clear is still viscous. Any tips or tricks a few of you fellas can pass on?

If you're talking about hook hangers and line ties, some guys like to remove topcoat before it hardens while some think it's easier to remove afterwards.  I'm afraid to mess with baits while the topcoat is still wet.  I prefer to remove topcoat from the hardware with a micro drill bit chucked in a Dremel tool after it hardens.  That includes removing acrylic paint too, since I paint lures after the hardware is installed.  You can mess up doing it either way.  I learned the knack of doing it my way while building a few hundred baits, so that's what I stick with.

I've always just blown on the belly hook hangers first, after I've dipped, to break the film that covers the hanger eyes, and then I use a wooden tooth pick, passing it through the hook hangers and removing the excess from it with a paper towel after each pass.

I remove the drip buildup at the rear hook hanger and clean the hanger at the same time with a paper towel.

If there is hardened clear on the hangers after I've cured the clear coat, I use a pair of split ring pliers to remove it.