scrubs

Double Blades On Inline Spinners

A quick question about double blades on inline spinners. I generally use Mepps single blades and follow the guidelines on Janns Netcraft for weight, 1/3 oz for a #4 Mepps and 1/2 oz for the Mepps #5 blade.

The idea of the double blades interests me, what size Colorado and Indiana blades do you use on double spinners of 1/3, 1/2 and 2/3 oz? These are intended for pike and light musky fishing.

thanks in advance,

bill

Are have double blades on inline spinners any advantages for salmon fishing?

Single Mepps "Flying C" #5 are very popular for salmon fishing.

As I could read from forums  double bladed inline spinners are using basically for musky or pike fishing.

Any experience with salmon?

Just spent a week in Lincoln CIty OR. It was the very beginning of the Chinook run and everyone was using single bladed "blue fox" style spinners. What surprised me was how light they were for about a #5 blade. They were using a keel weight ahead to get casting distance.

I only had smaller spinners and lures which attracted only parr.

bill

If you go on youtube or facebook look up Northern Scripture he has got a bunch of great ideas on inlines and would be a good source to ask about your question... also Dieter would a good one to ask as well I personally have never made double blades never really cared much for them... the one thing I do know is you want some weight to the design and make sure the blades are far enough from the Body (or big beeds) of the spinner to spin freely 

@ scrubs

What type of double bladed spinners you're refering to , ...the ones with a two blades in line(front blade a bit smaller than rear)or the so-called "Bulger Spinners" with two blades opposing each other ?

I think , one can only use these guidelines as a rough guide , ....f. e. I've always like to go heavier than commercial spinners of comparable sizes , though there definately are limits in terms of relations between blade size or shape and body weight .

If the body is too heavy for the blade , the spinner would level tail down too much on retrieve , resulting into the blade not engaging into the oncoming current properly and the blade thus spinning slower , pausing or even not spinning at all .

Just one of a few reasons , why I often prefer throwing heavier weight forward spinners , provided the particular water is deep enough .

BTW , .....the lures of the "Blue Fox" spinner line are generally very light , thus do not cast very far nor run that deep , available in sizes up to #6 , these rated at 21 grams(3/4ounce).

But I have also seen some willowleaf-bladed salmon models , also stated size #6 , but rated at 33 grams , ...due to a more elongated body , I suppose .

Greetz , Dieter :yay:

Diemai,

I was referring to the opposed blade bulger type. I was not impressed with my first attempt at one yesterday. Double #5 Colorado blades and about 1/3 oz. Would not spin easily. Not much experience with blade types other than Mepps which are dead easy to make and fish.

I should make up a few with varing weights, weight distribution etc to try next trip.

I used to cast up and fish the Erie style weight forwards years ago but haven't touched them in years. I'll check the gallery to see your examples.

bill

@ scrubs

Bill , ....actually this is the only bulger spinner , that I had posted so far , I guess :

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/gallery/image/10643-bulger-spinner-from-scratch/

But I had already figured out before , that the deeply cupped Colorado blades sometimes do not kick to spin easily but just get pressed against the spinner shaft on occassion , ...I'm not really too fond of them , .....but when I want a shallow running spinner , I can't really get around them , as they generate the most lift to a spinner .

Do you have ordinary Colorado blades or the ones rated as "deep cup" , ......have seen both styles in a component catalog before ?

If you haven't come across yet ,.....my latest weight forward spinners are displayed on video in this thread :

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/topic/26812-homemade-spinners-test-video/

I really like these chunky lead heads made after the famous "Mörrum Spinnaren" , issued by ABU Garcia decades ago :

http://pfcatalogarc.com/upload/products/photos/file_3888.jpg

This lure was originally designed for salmon fishing in the heavy current of the Swedish "Mörrum" river , but soon made it's way into different European countries also used for pike , perch and zander there , even in deeper stillwater , as it is perfect for tossing it  over structures from deep to shallow .

It was written , that one should not be deceived by the relatively small blade of the genuine "Mörrum Spinner", ......bigger predators would tend to take this quite small lure as well .

But I guess , that some Swedish tinkerers did not rely on that statement alone :lol:  , ........here are some obviously homemade or custom made big double bladed versions utilizing the same distinctive shape of the "Mörrum" lead head , ...rated at almost 7" in length and 2 ounces in weight :

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3IGwFoKLExM/UD_JUGgKu8I/AAAAAAAAoFY/IZ8s_e4eIas/s640/M%C3%B6rrum+Giant+Spinner.png

You may see one swim by the end of the video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AAIgu9tf4s

Greetz , Dieter :yay:

Edited by diemai

Thanks Moose & Dieter. Do you use a small bead between the backs of the clevises also? I use bead spacers between the clevis and body.

Dieter,

No they're standard Colorado blades. Judging from the looks of your bulger I may have too much weight. I'll do some experimenting. I've got to try those feathered trailers, they swim great.

bill

@ scrubs

On my own bulgers the two clevises are interconnected , not lined up behind one another , ........meaning , that they are rigged in a way that the upper shank of the lower clevis passes into the "U"-bent of the upper clevis , ......no bearing beads inbetween those clevis shanks , ...but one 2-3mm bead underneath .

With the bearing beads of all of my spinners I like to go with three beads underneath the clevis something like 2-4-6mm , ..then the spinnerbody , ........upper two beads are always of metal , third 6mm bead may be of plastic , but not neccessarely .

It's only a rule of thumb , though , ..I may vary the bead diameters slighly or chose all of the three beads of metal and add a fourth one of plastic , ..depends on each single model and about what I believe to work best .

For tying feathers , check out this YouTube channel by all means , great inspiration to me as well :

http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthernScripture

greetz , Dieter :yay:

Dieter,

Nice videos. I hadn't checked out Northern's stuff before. The idea of tying feathers on top of worm weights is interesting. Before I saw the videos I thought "how is he casting those things with just glass beads?". The feathers might be fragile for Musky but making your own who cares.

bill

• Like 1

So as a side note I made a double french blade spinner with a silicone skirt the other day. First cast I caught a personal best river smallmouth and 11 more nice ones after that. I'm sold!

Big congrats on your great success , .....this is , what's it all about :yay:  :yay:  :yay: !

Tight lines furthermore , ...cheers , 61diemai :yay:

So as a side note I made a double french blade spinner with a silicone skirt the other day. First cast I caught a personal best river smallmouth and 11 more nice ones after that. I'm sold!

Sweet! I miss river smallie fishing especially in the evenings when they'd come up into the foot of the riffles to feed. Used to catch a lot of catfish on the same spinners and areas too.

bill

Dbl, bladed inlines should not use dp. cup colo. they spin to close to shaft and actually vibrate less than std. or aspen type.Clevice size should be one size lgr. and interlocked.Min.of 2 solid metal beads I like glass/metal combo 2/3 beads.Look for the sm. flared body in nickel Mepps uses it at front of many baits helps start blades. Experiment w/blade sz.body wgt.I Like heavy bodies in bigger water for obvious reasons and larger dakotas fluted royals,wide willows and french are my favorites.Dont finish your front line tie loop and you can switch until its right.slow willows easier to start than std. good luck .