T-Ball

Vise For Saltwater Bucktails

I tie mostly 3 - 5oz bucktail jigs used for bottom fishing in saltwater.  Have used an el-cheapo vise for 4 years and its almost gone to the grave .  Been looking for a reasonable vise that will accomodate 8/0  down to maybe 4/0 hooks. Mustad #91715  8/0 is the hook I use most.  I would appreciate any help I can get.  Not spending 300.00 on a vise, but don't care to spend 200.00 or less on a rotary model.

Thanks

T-Ball

Good grief . I just use the same vises I used in my boy hood . Old Herter's or Thompson vise made from cast iron . Thompson E or F , Herter's no.11  served me since 1967 . Got a brand new one on the shelf I got in case one or the other gave out . Great grand kids will probably get to use that if they all don't grow up to be couch wusses .

I'm waiting for this vise to go on sale again for $149.95.  Saw it at that price, went on line the next day to get it....missed the sale.

I don't know how many jigs a year you do, but I use an Anvil Apex for 5 years now, and the jaws are shot. Use it for around #8 hooks to the same 8/0 you are using for the spro heads. Tied 1000's of hook teasers and jigs with it.

If that SWE vise doesn't go on sale in the next 2 weeks, I'm getting it any way.

http://www.saltwateredge.com/SWE-Rotary-Jig-Vise.html

Before I started tying just for fun I did 140,000 jigs total for a year . At one time I had 8 ladies tying . Their vises were purchased according to individual comfort . Some liked smooths straight handles . Some liked the ones with a knob on the handle . Clamp style or table top up to them . Most of the old model vises can be taken apart and the jaws resurfaced . New models aren't easy at all to do .

I tie lot's of large Salt water flies and jigs.

The cheapest and best vise I made was from a g clamp and a set of vie grips

Depending on the size of the jaws on the Vise grips and how big your G clamp is it will grip any sized fly or jig and costs you under $50 including the cost of getting someone to weld it for you.

Regards

Jim

HMH vises has a new one   http://www.eflytyer.com/tools/hmh_vises.html  You can order it with the salt-water jaws and whatever your preference is on the base.  HMH makes a good vise, and several guys I know on the fly boards use them.  Or check out Dyna-King vises.  Standard Kingfisher will hold an 8/0 hook with the regular jaw - I use this vise for everything - of course I got mine before they got expensive.  Really good vise.  

HMH SX:

The SX is HMH's entry level vise. The SX has a fixed head that rotates. The jaws have the famous interchangability feature, allowing the tyer to swap jaws out and use either the heavy duty magnum jaw for saltwater tying or the micro jaw for midge jaw ( these jaws are available separately or the tyer may select either one of these jaws with the vise ).

American Made with a Lifetime Warranty. The SX comes with the Universal Omni Jaw.

C-Clamp or Base Model : $130 WOW!

I've never used one, but I know Dick Moore carries a vise for musky bucktails...

Does this person have a website or some sort of way for contact info?

HMH vises has a new one   http://www.eflytyer.com/tools/hmh_vises.html  You can order it with the salt-water jaws and whatever your preference is on the base.  HMH makes a good vise, and several guys I know on the fly boards use them.  Or check out Dyna-King vises.  Standard Kingfisher will hold an 8/0 hook with the regular jaw - I use this vise for everything - of course I got mine before they got expensive.  Really good vise.  

HMH SX:

The SX is HMH's entry level vise. The SX has a fixed head that rotates. The jaws have the famous interchangability feature, allowing the tyer to swap jaws out and use either the heavy duty magnum jaw for saltwater tying or the micro jaw for midge jaw ( these jaws are available separately or the tyer may select either one of these jaws with the vise ).

American Made with a Lifetime Warranty. The SX comes with the Universal Omni Jaw.

C-Clamp or Base Model : $130 WOW!

Looks like a nice setup, however, either im blind or my screen wont allow me to see contact info for purchasing.