Thembonez

Dick Nites Not Hardening?

Mine always hardens within a couple of hours as the solvent off-gasses.  Then it takes several days for the coating to moisture cure and get tough as nails.  I have to ask - which Dick Nite topcoat are you using?  I'm talking about the S-81 moisture cured urethane.  If you're using another option, can't comment.

If the DN cured hard, maybe the paint underneath is thick and soft enough to be causing the effect.  Or if the paint was solvent-based and not water based acrylic, that may cause problems.  I found the DN to be the hardest and toughest topcoat I've tried.  Its durability is only offset by the fact that it is thinner than some topcoats, like epoxy.  I also think it is much slicker than epoxy so the bait tends to slide off obstructions and teeth a little easier.

Edited by BobP

So after letting my top coat cure for more than two weeks I tested my cranks out on the water. After several several sauger and walleye and banging around the bottom all day, I found my top coat had chiped and peeled back off the lip! And I had tooth marks that went all the way down to the paint! This is after two coats and more than ample time to cure!? In a little lost on what went wrong with my top coat here? Should I apply more than two coats or be trying a different clear?

Yes, I waited at least 24hr between coats. It's a new can. First time I've ever tried this top coat. I've heard great things about it. Just wish it'd hold up better. Curious if more coats = a tougher finish? As stated before its been well over two weeks for curing and I can still "dent" the finish with my finger nail. I'm not sure if humidity comes into play with this coating or not?

We've had some extreme humidity the past couple months. But with a moisture cure urethane you'd think this would do nothing but help the process. I'll have to contact Dick and ask him for his insight. It was mentioned earlier that it could be due to "thick" paint. Only problem is I can dig my finger nail into the bill and peel the top coat back till it chips. Maybe waiting longer between multipil coats? Heat setting between top coats to help speed the process?

After giving this some more thought, I bet the culprit is the paint itself. If you put a couple of heavy coats on and they aren't cured fully the clear will harden over it but as hard as it is DN is still flexible you would be able to dent the finish and it would explain the de-lamination of the finish. Also DN doesn't like to stick to some bills, 1.5 square bills in particular. Light coats of paint heat set should fix this.