bassnbrad

Which Type/brand Rtv Silicone?

1st off Hi all, I know... been gone too long. 2nd off before anyone tells me to use the search on here... pppfffffftttttttt.... did that.

Well I am transitioning from just painting cranks to making resin cast bodies. I am looking for rtv that I can make 1 piece molds out of that I don't need to worry about a vaccuum. A buddy out in Cali is making a mold for a top water he designed that I cleared out a master for but is running into issues with inclusions or "bubbles" the lower side. I need to find a silicone that can be poured and not have the problems with that. I also am thinking of doing up larger 8-10+" glides and want to be able to do the molds without issues.

So... Here is the actual question... What would you say would be the best RTV to pour with out using a vacuum chamber that will produce the cleanest mold?

Yeah Yeah Yeah Ben I know.... But I've been a bit busy as you can see...

And Mark... You need more wine, cause that corks gonna get blasted!

Check out the pic's, these bodies are 5"x2"x1" Any thoughts are welcome... b

004.JPG

004.JPG

004.JPG

004.JPG

004.JPG

004.JPG

004.JPG

004.JPG

post-24360-0-27773400-1377305358_thumb.jpg

http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/silicone-mold-making.htm

I've used the purple and the "translucent" with good results.  I prefer the purple more actually.  You will get bubbles when mixing, but these seem to be minimal with the purple.  Something that I recommend is brushing on the silicon directly onto the lure before submerging into the the rest of the batch.  This will help with bubbles too.

When making a one piece mold, I skin coat the master with RTV then hit it with heat. This will pop most of the bubbles near the master. If you let the skin coat dry some, when you fill with the rest of the RTV the bubbles that are under the master will not be able to get near the master and effect the mold. This little trick has made a big difference in the overall quality of my molds.

• Like 1