joelhains

Anybody Make Their Own Silicone Skirt Tabs?

I have been buying skirt tabs to make skirts for a while. I recently had someone ask me if I die my own skirts? I told them no I buy the tabs and then assemble the skirts. But it got me thinking. How would one go about making their own skirt tabs? Anybody do this or know where I could find a video or tutorial on how to do it?

Thanks

I have been thinking of trying some 100% silicone caulking with soft plastic dye and maybe some glitter pressed between two of my wifes cookie sheets. Then cut with a razor blade. I might try a little sample and see if I can get a skirt of it.

Edited by joelhains

I will need to experiment with different materials for sure. I was thinking 100% silicone caulking as just a starting point and going from there.  I have had some other ideas pop into my head for making some sort of a press and I think I have the design figured out. Something much better than two cookie sheets pushed together. I'll try to remember to post results and pics when I get a chance to do it.

The cost of skirt tabs are going up but is it really worth it since there is just about any color you can imagine? I believe you can get a custom color made if you order enough tabs of it but I never really thought of making the tabs from scratch, I'm not sue what you would need or if it even possible but it would be cool if you could make your own.

I don't use the same type skirt you bass fishermen do. But is it really worth it?

Whats the average cost of your skirts? Looking at LPO it is like $.25-$.30 a tab.

Unless you find some dirt cheap silicone, glitter, and dye I just don't see it being worthwile.

Other than the joy of catching fish on something you made yourself of course.

I don't use the same type skirt you bass fishermen do. But is it really worth it?

Whats the average cost of your skirts? Looking at LPO it is like $.25-$.30 a tab.

Unless you find some dirt cheap silicone, glitter, and dye I just don't see it being worthwile.

Other than the joy of catching fish on something you made yourself of course.

Chris, I agree with you but sometimes it's the challenge. If you shop at the right place you can buy tabs at half that price. Why pay retail when you don't have to? Just sayin.

I buy in bulk from fishing skirts ... when I am paying 11 cents a tab for my big seller jigs, I just can't make my own tabs lol

At 11 cents a tab for the high quality factory died tabs I couldn't see myself trying to make them either.

But I could see some satisfaction if I could fish a jig I made 100% myself Including the hook and skirt. Most likely it would be just so I could say I had done it one time.

Wish my saltwater double skirts were that cheap!

Edited by Kasilofchrisn

I have a few reasons for wanting to do this. For one, if a person can sell them for $0.11 per tab they must be making them cheaper than that and therefore must also be able to turn a profit on them. Second it is awesome to be able to say "I caught that bass (or whatever) on a lure I made". When you are making your own skirts too that is even more true. Third it is the ultimate in custom. When you look at tabs for sale, everyone seems to be selling the same ones. If I am making them myself they will truly be "one of a kind". Lastly, I just want to say I did it!

How about a hybrid, Inject silicone into a skirt mold sprayed with mold release? I've already used plastic colorant for soft plastics in a 2 part resin and although it made the resin a bit softer after setting up it seemed to be colorfast so it should work. If you don't have skirt mold shoot a worm mold to see if it would work, unfortunately you would need an awful lot of molds considering the time it would take to set up.

Here is a silicone skirt press I have been working on today. I built it out of 2x10's and some scrap sheet metal from A/C ducts. the idea is to use silicone caulking and then use the bolts to squeeze it together which should give me uniform flat sheets of silicone that I can cut into Skirt tabs. I used liquid nails to bond the Sheet metal to the wood. It will take a full day to cure so I won't be able to try it out until tomorrow night. I will post pics of it opened up and the results when I have some. I made two of them. One is 14.5 inches long by 9.5 inches wide. the other one I had to make a bit smaller to fit the scrap piece of sheet metal. It is 14.5 inches by 7.5 inches between the two of them I will be able to produce 30-35 standard skirt tabs at a time.

0907131615a_zps51195967.jpg

0907131615_zpsb8e29a1f.jpg

0907131614b_zps6de5abad.jpg

0907131614a_zps71151b5f.jpg

0907131614_zps26404593.jpg

Edited by joelhains

That belongs in one of my Nutty Idea posts Just for the fact you want to try it . Proud of ya son . Next your going to want to cut it . Take plenty of time and search for rotary fabric blades . They are expensive but you can find a deal . Mount them on a piece of all thread seperated by washers and use it like a rolling pen to cut your filiments . 

I'm sorry to rain on your parade but this thread concerning manufacturing your own skirt tabs has some serious caveats associated with it plus the costs involved.

Have you priced rotary cutting wheels? You'll need 22 if you wish to make 20 strand silicone tabs in addition to .the apparatus to hold them and thin washers to make the cutter functional.

For the purpose of discussion ,let's say you complete this project of yours for $80.00 for all of your costs involved. Now we'll divide that by .20 per  skirt tab. That will equal 400 skirts tab purchased @ .20 cents each.

Are you in the business of mass producing jigs,spinner-baits and buzz-baits??

I'll just call Bubba Robinson  and order my shirt tabs. wholesale.for much less then .20 each

I made a rotary cutting wheel to cut tubes tails years ago. One expensive project for sure. The tube tails can stick to the wheel and even if you use a lubricant to alleviate this, you'll still need to separate some them by hand.The finished product leaves much to be desired.You do not want your hand and fingers vulnerable on the upward side of the wheel or you'll require more stitches in the E.R. then you'll believe. This is precisely why I inject all of my tubes.

Sometimes trying to save money will cost you money!

Edited for additional content

Edited by smallmouthaholic

The sheet metal was free, the lumber used was free. The only thing I've had to pay for so far were the bolts. So I've only got a few bucks into this so far. I looked at rotary blades and while they can be pricey if you don't look around a bit, I'm finding I could get all I need  for $20 (maybe less). But I'm not necessarily doing this to just save money. However if I can come up with a cheap material that gives me the action I want out of my skirts I think I will definitely be able to save myself some money. If somebody is able to sell skirt material for less than  $.20 a piece than they must be able to make it for substantially less than that in order to turn a profit themselves.

Well, the Liquid Nails have had nearly a full 24 hours to cure. I opened it up and drilled my spacers and closed it all up again with some silicone inside. I used just regular vegetable oil to lube the sheet metal. I'll give it another 24 hours before I try to open it up again. Hopefully it works! Here are a few pics.

0908131729_zps02e139bd.jpg[

0908131729a_zpsdc3fe777.jpg

0908131735_zps3a40c0bc.jpg

0908131745_zpsded786b2.jpg

Not really sure yet! I want to try some soft plastic colors and see if the silicone I'm using holds the color. Right now I'm just going to try different brand of silicone to find one that has the right feel for skirt material. I open to suggestions for dye, coloring or other silicone sources.