HometownBait

Removing Old Paint

Hi All! This is my first post so go easy on me. Hope its in the right spot. Anyways.. I bought a whole bunch of jigs at auction for cheap, tons of variety and nice strong sharp hooks. The problem is the paint job, this guy made guality jigs but he definitely didn't have the same skills in the painting dept. Looks like 90% of them are vinyl paint, and I saw a few powder paint jobs in there too.

My question is... after much unsuccesful searching... does anyone know a good way to take the paint off these things without painstakingly cleaning each and every one by hand? I considered painting over them, but read that there are a variety of issues with curing powder paint(which i prefer) over latex/vinyl. I also considered just dipping them in a liquid base coat and painting over the original, but he has a lot of "detail" that will show as bumps and textures. I would really prefer to strip and start clean if possible. Thanks so much!

Welcome to Tackle Underground. Lot of very knowledgeable people here. The easiest thing to do is put them all in a bowl, and pour in paint stripper. In about 20 minutes to an hour, depending on how many jigs you have, you can take the jigs out and wipe the paint right off. When done wash them in soap (I use Dawn) and water, let dry and put on your new powder paint.
If you want a really nice paint job, then do not paint over existing paint, as you will be very disappointed and you will have to start from the beginning. Take the time to do it right and you will be a happy camper.

Edited by cadman

As opposed to "just melt them down" or "just deal with it", that seems like the only answer that stuck out to me elsewhere as well. I'm gonna try it out. What do recommend MEK(with proper precautionary measures)?

I figured its best to ask here, tons of knowledgeable people! Hopefully someday I can contribute some of my own. Thanks so much!

MEK, will work, but don't use it, it really screws up your respiratory system. A safer alternative is something like Zinseer paint remover. It does have acidic qualities and you don't want to splash it in your eyes, but at least you can breathe. See attached PDF. I'm sure almost any paint stripper will work.

Zinseer Stripper 2013.pdf