littleriver

Paulownia

Hello

In year two with my paulownia tree suckers growing off an older tree root, thought I would share their phenomenal growth. These trees must be tapped into the sewer line. My wife is really starting to give me grief but my plan is to hold out for at least another year before cutting any. The largest is close to six inches in diameter at the base. 

year one growth

P7286230.JPG

year 2

paulownia y2.jpg

P7286230.JPG

paulownia y2.jpg

P7286230.JPG

paulownia y2.jpg

P7286230.JPG

paulownia y2.jpg

P7286230.JPG

paulownia y2.jpg

P7286230.JPG

paulownia y2.jpg

P7286230.JPG

paulownia y2.jpg

P7286230.JPG

paulownia y2.jpg

post-26144-0-48983400-1377725324_thumb.jpg

post-26144-0-45902200-1377725368_thumb.jpg

Mark, 

I plan on cutting mine into strips a couple of feet long and appx 1 inch wide . Then, store it in the attic of my house or shed for about a year. Must place strips between stacked layers so moisture may escape.  What I have seen of this wood, it dries quick . Keep it dry and wait. 

That should get you close to what you need.

Coat the ends in wax to keep them from splitting.

Having a moisture meter will help you know when it's dry.  7%+- moisture content is about right, if I remember right.  I'm sure you can go online to see what the ideal content should be.

You can get a moisture meter from a hardwood floor supplier.

Edited by mark poulson

Mark 

Thank you for the info. I have purchased wood before with the ends waxed and wondered what that was about; now I know. I will look into the meter as well. 

Gon2long

The solid wood is what i want. I have cut pieces only three inches in diameter and found there was enough wood to make a bait. Your right though; there is a substantial hollow center. I would prefer wood pieces around an inch. I am thinking(wild guess) shoots around a foot in diameter should give me the wood I want. 

Edited by littleriver

If you are using a septic field for sewage; you are playing with fire. If the roots block the laterals in the field your septic will back up into the house or come to the surface in your yard; or both. If this happens you are looking at thousands of $ in replacement costs not to mention the damage to your home.

Just a heads up.

Thanks nova

I am on city sewer. I was joking about the sewer but one has to wonder at the growth right. But infact, they are known for their fast growth. We have had a really wet spring and summer here to boot. This part of east TN is a semi rainforest. So all in all, I would say this is just what you get when conditions are right. 

Mark 

Thank you for the info. I have purchased wood before with the ends waxed and wondered what that was about; now I know. I will look into the meter as well. 

Gon2long

The solid wood is what i want. I have cut pieces only three inches in diameter and found there was enough wood to make a bait. Your right though; there is a substantial hollow center. I would prefer wood pieces around an inch. I am thinking(wild guess) shoots around a foot in diameter should give me the wood I want. 

Gotcha I've often wondered if the hollow wood could be turned into torpedo baits like a zara spook. We actually have had a rash of thefts here in our park system and along the rail lines where they were actually cutting them down to sell.

Well, I hope you have it "made in the shade" real soon.

If you want a fast growing shade tree, plant a coral tree, but be careful where you plant it.  

I brought home a 3" diameter 4' long branch in 2001, and stuck it in the ground.  In five years it was more than 20' tall. Unfortunately, I planted it under the phone and power lines, never thinking it would grow like it did.

It eventually reached 30'+ tall, and required trimming each year.

I just cut it down to a 4' high stump.  Way too high maintenance! 

I don't have to worry about trimming Mark. The utility company comes by every few years and "butcher" the trees for me. They've killed all but 2 of my huge, old oak trees. As fast as the Paulownia trees grow I'm thinking of planting them all up and down my property under the utility lines just to make sure their employees have plenty to do when they come around.

Ben

I don't have to worry about trimming Mark. The utility company comes by every few years and "butcher" the trees for me. They've killed all but 2 of my huge, old oak trees. As fast as the Paulownia trees grow I'm thinking of planting them all up and down my property under the utility lines just to make sure their employees have plenty to do when they come around.

Ben

That's because they don't take the all of 5 minutes to properly clean their chainsaws between trees and properties bringing whatever ails the previous trees to your property real jerks for sure. And I should know because I was a utility arborist for over 20 years and I couldn't get the company to adopt such a simple rule, but I suspect that's why they are one of the wealthiest privately owned companies in the world! Think orange :mad:

Our Dept. of Water and Power sends a private tree trimmer out every year, but they only trim the minimum around their own power lines.

At my old house, my Eugenia hedges grew all the way up into the power lines in the back corner, and caused intermittent shorts on my block.  When DWP came out to troubleshoot, the foreman was an old friend who told me to just stay inside and play dumb.  Otherwise, they would give me a bill for the trouble call.

It pays to have friends.

Edited by mark poulson