Uncle Jays Fishin Shack

How Can I Make My Own Dive Lips With The Line Tie In It?

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas. I make my own wooden baits and cut the dive lips out of plexi glass. I see some people doing this with the line tie going thru the lip and into the body. I have been trying to figure out how to do it this way instead of having to use screw eyes in the nose of the bait. I see that lure parts online sells the lips with a line tie already in them, but I would rather make them on my own. I guess its a lure builder pride thing. Haha! Does any one have any suggestions for me?

Thanks

Jay

So pardon the really crappy paintbrush drawing but it was handy I am sure you will get way better pictures from most of the guys on here and other ideas but this is the general idea the black line is the wire, red is glued thread... blue is your lure and grey is the lip essentially you run the wire under the lip and drill a hole in the middle and push the loop through.  If you have a Salmo (Hornet) store brand lure that probably shows the best example to look at.

Outline

• Like 1

Phew Dieter, I just went through that thread, great info and again it highlighted your tenacious dedication to the physics of LURE BUILDING---------   http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/topic/13043-new-banana-lure/?hl=%2Bbanana+%2Blures

-great work.

Thanks ----Pete

Edited by hazmail
  • Like 1

Thank you for all the help guys. Griffond, Your picture was very clear and Diemai, I like those Banana lures! I am going to give it a try and I will let everyone know how they come out. I need to make a correction. I do use lexan for the lips not plexi glass. I even went and double checked the piece I have been using. And whew, it was lexan not plexi glass. Thank you again everyone.

Jay

@ J. Griffing Lures

OK , ...having some more time at hand now to browse through my picture files , ........here are some more , that I've found .

For myself I find it easier to cut a belly slot into a readily carved lure(lipslot already cut when blank is still in square , only outline done) , ......I do not do many lures out of two halves to glue in wireform inbetween , especially no deep divers with the line tie on their lip .

I would drill two little holes into the lip , just big enough in diameter for your wire to pass through , then bending the wireform starting with the tow eye on the lip .

I believe , that a snug fit of the wire through the two lip holes provides a bit more of stability to the lure , compared to a slot in the lip for the entire  tow eye to pass through from below , .........though this method makes up for an easier assembly.

Shown are also some cut-outs of roofing lead sheet , these are the ballast to balance the lure , determined about the ballast amount by putting this propionate-sealed blank into a water bucket , .......by now it is assembled and has received it's paint coat , ......also tested for swimming action prior to painting , ...looked alright in the bath tub so far !

DSCI0002-001.JPG

DSCI0003-001.JPG

DSCI0005-001.JPG

@ hazmail

Thanks , Pete , ...I'm surprised , that you've obviously never come across those bananas there , quite an old thread this is !

Greetz , Dieter :yay:

DSCI0002-001.JPG

DSCI0003-001.JPG

DSCI0005-001.JPG

DSCI0002-001.JPG

DSCI0003-001.JPG

DSCI0005-001.JPG

DSCI0002-001.JPG

DSCI0003-001.JPG

DSCI0005-001.JPG

DSCI0002-001.JPG

DSCI0003-001.JPG

DSCI0005-001.JPG

DSCI0002-001.JPG

DSCI0003-001.JPG

DSCI0005-001.JPG

DSCI0002-001.JPG

DSCI0003-001.JPG

DSCI0005-001.JPG

DSCI0002-001.JPG

DSCI0003-001.JPG

DSCI0005-001.JPG

post-17895-0-56593100-1378238246_thumb.jpg

post-17895-0-75732500-1378238268_thumb.jpg

post-17895-0-08776200-1378238287_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Dieter, I just got a chance to look at the photos you uploaded. That is just what I needed. Those pictures are worth a thousand words. More important, they are going to save me a thousand hours at the work bench. ( More time  for fishing )Thank you to all who replied to my post. It is greatly appreciated!

Jay

• Like 2

Dieter is probably one of the better people to ask about things like this and since he didn't mention or show it here is the link to his youtube channel I would recommend getting a full pot of coffee or a six pack of beer since after you watch the first episode you will be hooked and watch the rest of them...which means you better have a few hours of time on your hands lol.                 http://www.youtube.com/user/61diemai

• Like 1

@ J. Griffing Lures

Glad if I could help , Jay , ...seems , that I'm a bit paranoid about having that wireform pulled out by bigger fish , this why I leave the tag ends that long and bent them into the "U"-bend of the belly hook hanger :lol: , but all wire and lead sheet would be encapsuled with epoxy glue later , anyway .

Most other builders leave the tag ends quite short and snip them off at a little distance behind attachemend eye and tail hook eye(minnow lures with line tie at the nose) , ......particulary interesting I find the method of Peter Biedron , probably Germany's most popular lure carver , ....if you can spare the time o watch , note how he is wrapping some thinner wire around the tag ends for reinforcement and especially to have the wireform centered into the wider belly slot .

@ Griffond

..............you really make me blush , mate , .......but thanks , anyway :worship:  !

@ hazmail

Pete , .....other species might respond as well , ..if you want a less livelier action on a banana lure , make them more elongated and give them only a little of a  body curve .

Greetz , Dieter :yay:

• Like 1

WOW!!! You guys are great. :worship:  I wish I found this site years ago. I hope that maybe I can help some of you guys with something in the future. I will be checking out Dieter's youtube page tonight. I would do in right now but I have one of those pesky job things I have to go to. Haha! Thanks again guys!
Jay

I have to agree Dieter is a wizard and a bountiful source of information, you really need some time on your hands to go through his youtube channel. If you are looking for various ways of attaching the line tie check out some Australian lures they really have it worked out when it comes to tow points. Interestingly some of the older Rebel cranks had a screw eye in the lip which could be replicated with some epoxy or a thick lip but since then they have moved on to a omega clip style. I will have to take some pictures and show the various changes they made over the years. I'm still trying to find polycarbonate that's thinner than 2mm for my shallow cranks, Lowe's hardly carries any sizes out here.

• Like 1

Ok so after rummaging through my tackleboxes I found that 90% of my lures contain a screw eye in the bill. The other lures have an infinity clip or the omega clip molded into the bill. Only recently has Rebel changed the tow point to and omega clip. All the screw eyes stick out of the bottom of the lip. You could try drilling in a screw eye and placing a small piece of wood underneath to give the screw something to grab onto, not an aesthetic option.

Most of the screw eye pictures came out fuzzy and unusable but this should give you the basic idea.

Rebel screw eye.jpg

Rebel screw eye.jpg

Rebel screw eye.jpg

Rebel screw eye.jpg

Rebel screw eye.jpg

Rebel screw eye.jpg

Rebel screw eye.jpg

Rebel screw eye.jpg

post-44729-0-95899500-1378525236_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, I see what you mean now. That is another option that I have not thought of. Right now I am working on some wire thru the lip lures. The picture you just posted gives me a good idea for some of my Bass baits that I have already made and don't use that much. You know, the ones that end up in the "spare" tackle box marked "these would be great if I could get them to swim like I want them to!" HAHA! Thank you for the idea and the picture. That is going to be a winter workbench project for sure!

Thanks again,

Jay

Here is an example of a Salmo show the front lip with two wires on it... the pic is from there website this is probably as simple as it gets to look at... also for something to look at Original Rapalas... the minnow shaped ones are thru wire... the jointed ones are as well and then they use a plastic piece to fill the belly. Hope it all helps 

salmo-hornet-h3f-gt-600px.png

• Like 1

Hey thanks Griffond. Any help is good help. That pic shows a good starting point for me to use as far as where to have the line tie wire come up thru the lip. I have been drawing out pics of the lips with the wire close to the body of the bait and down to about the middle of the lip itself. From this pic you just posted, I have found my starting point.

Thanks,

Jay