DW

I Found A Wholesale Spinnerbait Web Site

With a Mustad 32608 hook, a set of Worth blades, a Worth ball bearing swivel, air craft grade stainless steel wire, and good skirt material I can honestly say that if I sold my spinnerbaits at that price I would probably lose money. I buy in what I call "small bulk" and by that I mean I buy Worth ball bearing swivels 1000 at a time and then I buy the split rings 2000 at a time and put them together myself and the same thing for blades and wire and I'm still close to that, now if I use imported snaps, an Eagle Claw regular 253 hook, not the laser sharp 253 or 255, and some down grade stainless wire then I could make them for that but I take pride in what I make, truth be told this is a site were we all make baits and throwing out a $1.58 spinnerbait for sale is an insult to me and the rest of the guys on this site, every person here makes high quality fishing lures, we do it for the love of it and while those baits are cheap I would not compare them to anything that the members here make, we pride ourselves by using high quality material. Sorry for the rant and I apologize to all the members here but this is for tackle makers to discuss lures and help those who run into a snag every now and again, not to sell cheaply made products.

• Like 2

With a Mustad 32608 hook, a set of Worth blades, a Worth ball bearing swivel, air craft grade stainless steel wire, and good skirt material I can honestly say that if I sold my spinnerbaits at that price I would probably lose money. I buy in what I call "small bulk" and by that I mean I buy Worth ball bearing swivels 1000 at a time and then I buy the split rings 2000 at a time and put them together myself and the same thing for blades and wire and I'm still close to that, now if I use imported snaps, an Eagle Claw regular 253 hook, not the laser sharp 253 or 255, and some down grade stainless wire then I could make them for that but I take pride in what I make, truth be told this is a site were we all make baits and throwing out a $1.58 spinnerbait for sale is an insult to me and the rest of the guys on this site, every person here makes high quality fishing lures, we do it for the love of it and while those baits are cheap I would not compare them to anything that the members here make, we pride ourselves by using high quality material. Sorry for the rant and I apologize to all the members here but this is for tackle makers to discuss lures and help those who run into a snag every now and again, not to sell cheaply made products.

Smalljaw, I'm with you on this one. Heck, I wouldn't have one in my tacklbox cause I know what it cost to make a quality spinnerbait. The components aren't cheap and most of us buy in a lot smaller quantity than you. I don't sell, but I wouldn't warm my pot up for that cause I'd definitely be losing money at that price.

That said, if you ever fish one of our quality spinnerbaits, you'll never fish Mr. Cheapo again. It doesn't offend me that someone is trying to sell cheap spinnerbaits though. If I was a mod, I might have a problem with someone with a couple posts coming on here and pushing some though. To the OP, are you sure you're not making those spinnerbaits? Looks fishy to me. Just sayin.....

Wrong! The guy is just offering up his take on the option get off your high horse were not all here to be in business and I'm quite sure that when this site started it was about the hobby but as of late seems to be who makes a better product not sure why.

I appreciate your opinion but let me explain why I made that post. First of all look at the post count, this is someone who joined not to offer anything but cheap spinnerbaits and even that doesn't get me mad. What bothers me is the complete lack of respect posting that on a site made up of tackle makers, some of whom have businesses and support this site, if he was telling us where to go to find cheap supplies then that is all well and good and promoting a business is fine but not on day one and not like this, as I said, I respect your opinion to tell me to get off my high horse it is obvious we see this differently but I saw posts deleted for having pictures put up from someone asking for an honest opinion on there work and that isn't allowed but joining the site for the single purpose of promoting a business is what I call spam and it should get deleted.

• Like 1

I have been making spinnerbaits and selling some to a local tackle shop. The owner asked If I could make him a bait HE COULD SELL for $1.00 or $ 1.50. That would mean I would have to sell it to him for no more than $.75. I told him I didn't think I could but I would price out some cheaper material to see how close I could get. I think I priced material where I could make them for about $1.25 but that was with the cheapest stuff I could find. I never sold him any cheap spinnerbaits. When my stuff is on his shelves so is my name. I don't want my name to be associated with cheap junk.

We don't always see eye to eye on things......in fact, I've been known to stir the pot a bit. I have to agree with you on this and you problably wont be hearing from this guy who can't, spell, use propper grammer or American made products....another shameless plug on garbage....

Why you might ask......he has the same avatar here as he does on e-bay.....BUSTED and see ya!  A dollar to doughnut says he's buy them already made in China     for 1/3 the price...      http://www.ebay.com/usr/den53

Edited by Richard Prager
  • Like 1

I stand corrected and see that I'm apparently a sucker! for some reason I think the lesser of 2 evils apologies go out to anyone I offended by this crap. But I do hope this is still a site with the hobbyist in mind, any more I see fights over this and that in the business sense.

Oh and thank you Rich for pointing this out, I do appreciate your opinion and am not offended as I've seen your work all over during my new found addiction of airbrushing, thanks again!

Edited by Gon2long

Lmao, no not a sucker at all.....I have boxes of boxes proving I am a sucker!.....just look at the member site....With all that is said , in my opinion this is the best tackle making forum around. I've learned how to hand pour plastics (yes the lost art) here. I read every thread, and people like Jim at Ghostbaits took me under his wing along with Alsworms and others I might be forgetting to mention. When I couldn't pour plastics any longer, Ted Chodor (cadman) took me under his wing and taught me how to skirted baits and powder 5 color jig heads using his tap method. Horzontal tubes from Bojon......Crank bait painting form all the guys that still participate especially LureProf. My highly sarcastic and Passive Agressive behavior from The Rookie. I have read every thread in every section and have done extentive search.....Guys willing to share their work and take the time to make detailed videos like Frank and Solarfall without having to worry or care about people copying their styles or techniques..Carolina Mike, Romeo Dichoso, rayburnGuy, Mike, BopP,etc....etc.........The high tech guys like Vodkaman and others.....don't take offense if I didn't metion your name. It's no good to get old......Longhorn with his silicone mold making and hot lamp set up.....Crawchuck and his detailed tutorials on making hard baits out of live craws.......Incredible stuff that save so much trial and error which equals tons of money and insight....toadfrog with his nutty ideas. The list goes on. So, with that being said, things get in here that shouldn't, maybe things get deleted that shouldn't..some shameless plugs and deceit might be intentional and somemight not......but it doesn't compare to the benefits and willings to share tacklemaking ideas and techniques. I help when I can, and I argue when I don't want to kick the dog! I would love to carve my own baits but Arthritis and Emyphsema keeps me from doing that. I can't use Auto Clear or any paints other than Createx, Auto Air and Polytranspar.....so i paint cheap Chinese blanks.....but the high end ones (LOL) I rambled on enough and hope this helps because this is what I get from coming here....if i offended anybody or if you don't agree with me......BITE ME! :)

Edited by Richard Prager
  • Like 1

I can't speak to the quality of the spinner baits themselves... but I just placed an order for some skirt tabs on the site. They look the same as the tabs I've been buying from Barlow's but they are a lot cheaper. Hopefully he is quick with the shipping. I'll post back here when I get them.

Well here is my opinion.

I don't use spinnerbaits here in AK so I wouldn't be buying from him anyways.

That being said most of us on this site are not looking for finished tackle either. Components sure or maybe blank jigs we can paint or embellish ourselves. But either way we are not on this forum looking for finished jigs and spinners.

When I do buy tackle I seldom if ever look for the cheapest I can find.

Quality matters to me and that is one of the reasons I make my own tackle. I can use better components than many store bought jigs.

Cheap tackle seems to always break at the most inopportune time. Hours from home on a long awaited trip is no time to have your tackle fail on you because somebody bought the cheapest swivels or split rings they could find.

Although it says american made I believe for the price it should more honestly read assembled in the USA from foreign and/or domestic parts.

Also I detest spam on any forum including this one. Spammers should be banned for life.

Obviously this is a spammer and he needs to go. Even if it were the best quality stuff at rock bottom prices I still wouldn't buy from a known spammer just because they are one.

Just my $.02

If you just want cheap spinnerbaits Wal-Mart had a bunch of them for a buck and a half last time I looked, and Bass Pro Shops had a spinning spinnerbait display for less than a buck.

I am pretty selective when I throw one.  For commercially available stuff I usually only buy King Cobra, Nichols, or Secret Weapon.  Now that Manuel at King Cobra has worked out how to make one of the colors I got from Nichols, I buy that color from him instead. 

I posted 3 days ago that I placed an order from spinnerbaitkirts.com for a some skirt tabs. I have to say he was fast with the shipping and the skirt tabs look like the same ones I have been purchasing from barlows. Very happy with the product and the shipping time was reasonable.

Edited by joelhains