muskyslayer96

Lip Angle For Large Trolling Musky Cranks

Hey fellas,

I'm going to try and get a batch of big trolling baits built for some fall trolling (just starting to give trolling a try).

I'm looking for some advice on lip angles for trolling lures. I have the shallow angle I like but was wondering more about deeper stuff.

For example what are the angles on some of the popular deep trolling cranks (scuba, deep threat, whishmaster, hose baits' slammer deep diver etc.)

Thanks in advance for any advice, I don't own any deeper musky cranks in my arsenal to use as a reference.

Best,

MS

I don't build, or fish, musky baits, but here is something you can try that should give you the angles your looking for. Find a profile picture of some of the deep trolling lures you mentioned and save it to your computer. Then print it out. Once it's printed draw a horizontal line down the center of the bait from head to tail. Then line up a straight edge on the lip and draw a line intersecting the horizontal line you first drew. Then it's just a matter of using a protract or angle finder to measure that angle.

hope this helps,

Ben

Ok first off if you are making trolling lures for fall fishing musky's you are not going to need to go very deep... in the fall they go nuts feeding getting ready for winter fishing October/November is probably the best time to get them... Granny Lures and Large Original Rapala like lures are almost best for these types of baits... your looking for the 10-18ft max range of things... Rayburns idea is probably actually the best plan for you if you are in the mood to build deep divers... I would also recommend looking at Solarbaits you tube videos he makes big baits in europe he is a member here and youtube same name check the how section of the forum... on a final note fall fish are after flashy big stuff so don't forget to add some bucktail or a twister to the end of some of your lures on a hot bite day it can make a huge difference.