chas48

Removing Devcon?

Well 2 things ,all my fault. Touched up a spot with a dirty brush (that part is now not clear) I can probably sand that part. 2nd I hung the bait w a paperclip....when it dried it covered the paperclip....when I wrenched it out it left groves.....I was able to sand them out but THAT redue didn't cover the entire lip so its bumpy..........learning as I go.......)

May I ask why you covered the lip with epoxy? Most of us (I think) stay away from the lip if at all possible when clear coating. If the lip is severely scratched and needs to be repaired the only thing I've ever used for this was DN S81. It adds a much thinner coat than epoxy. It leaves a clear, hard finish that is UV resistant.

Ben

Benton,  yes that's a great tip and works with a lot of wood baits.  I've used it on Rapalas, no problem.  When I tried it on an old Poes, the thick white undercoating on the bait immediately burst into vigorous flame.  I think the finish techniques most of us use would be fine with torching but you have to be careful with old baits since they sometimes employed a thick "build layer" of flammable goop.  One guy told me they used solvent based flooring glue in the shop where he worked as an undercoating for their finish.  In a production setting, it's faster and cheaper to dip baits in a thick viscous coating than it is to hand sand them.

You won't get it off without screwing up the bait unless you have the patience of Jobe. So you just need to make one better than the original. The new wiggle warts aren't worth 10 cents. The line tie constanly pops loose in the lip when you try to tune them. As for the old ones........ well I guess I would have to live in Missouri to appreciate them. I personally, have not done that well with them.

Skeeter