JoeyDaGreat

Vise For 9/0 Hook

That's a big jig. Here is one on sale for 143.00. :-)

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_48555_48555

We use big jigs to jig the Cape Cod canal for striped bass. And I should have been more specific i'm looking for a fly tying vise but thank you :-)

Edited by JoeyDaGreat

I hate to tell you this man, but you aren't going to find a rotary vise to handle that size hook for the price range you want. The only one I know of that is a rotary vise that can do that is the Renzetti master and it will be around $400. The truth is you can find others but they will all cost close to that as you will have to buy the vise and a separate jaw set that will allow the vise to hold that size hook. I did a search when I saw this and it appears that the only vise in your range that comes close to the 9/0 is the Griffin Montana pro vise, it is non rotary and is $78.00 but it only takes up to a 7/0 hook, the rotary vises will be a killer, the Renzetti Master is the most affordable rotary vise at around $670 retail and if you're luck you may be able to find a used one for around $500 but that is the least expensive option. There is a Peak and a Dnya King that you can get but the ones that will accept the extra large salt water jaws are over $400 and the jaw set along with the extension that is required will push the cost over the Renzetti. So if you want the rotary option which I agree is nice and something I won't do without anymore, well the $150 is going to have to grow by more than 4 times, sorry for the bad news. You may be able to get something on ebay but the vises in this category are still going to run over $300 used if you are lucky enough to find one with the jaws you need as the jaws by themselves are almost what your whole budget is.

Thanks for the help guys. I think I have found a vise that will work and was made for tying big hooks & jigs and its rotary and under $200 http://www.saltwateredge.com/SWE-Rotary-Jig-Vise.html

That is awesome!!! I never heard of those, it would have come in handy as I was looking to find one for 5/0 hooks 2 years ago, good find!!!

I have an anvil apex and use for up to 8/0 hooks. If I would want to go bigger.....not much effort to drill the hole out a fuzz bigger.  It rotates, but not a rotary vise.

I am on the market for another vise. Don't need the true rotary but for $40, just may get it.  Thanks for the link. After 1000's of saltwater jigs and teaser hooks, my cam on the anvil is shot, and I can never get hold of them about a replacement cam!

Edited by BLT

That Saltwater Edge vise looks EXACTLY like the Peak vise that I have. I am sure that it is made by Peak for SWE. Anyway, the vise works well for large jigs. I bought the large jaws and then ground them a bit (carefully - so you don't go overboard) so that they can take 3XXX Mustad hooks in 8/0 and 9/0. Once you do that, it works well for the larger hooks.

Pete