riemanbt

How Do You You Attach Your Lips?

Are you making your own lips or buying commercially manufactured ones? If I am picturing this correctly? Your lip is actually narrower than your bait in the area of the slot?

Ups , ...probably I did not understand well at first , .....if so , ..I'd always fill up these gaps with glue and work the flush after curing , ...might also use some kinda putty .

Cheers , diemai :yay:

Edited by diemai

I also use a bandsaw to cut my lip slots.

I make sure the first pass is straight and where I want the lip to sit.  Then I deepen the cut by either making a second full cut, for 1/8" lexan, or by dragging the blade back out along the belly side of the first cut for 1/16" lexan until a sample piece fits.

If I make sure the first cut is good, I can always wedge the lip with a toothpick against it if the slot winds up a little sloppy, and remove the toothpick before the epoxy (D2T) gets super hard.

I cut my slots while my blanks are still rectangular, or, at least, after I cut out the profile, but before I begin shaping, so the slot is square and true.

In my limited crankbait making experience, if a lip looks close, it'll probably work okay, as long as the line tie is centered.

I've replaced broken lips on Rapalas and set the new ones in by eye, and they work fine.

Using a centerline on both the lip and the bait to keep stuff lined up is key for me.

How do I put a photo on this page I can show how I make lip slot and drill lip so it will never come out

Click on "more reply options" bar down right of the reply square , ...another window would open up , where you can access your own computer's picture files , .....select file , chose picture and upload , .......finally add to post .

Good luck , diemai :yay:

PS : ...one always got to have the last word , mate , ...but most likely it's not us , but our better halves :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Edited by diemai

attachicon.gifDSCF1503 (500x375).jpg

I mark the lip on lure with pencil then use dremel I also drill a hole in the lip and slip over wire so when filled with epoxy and fitted it will never fail

Interesting method , ...so you do not cut a lipslot but rather make a deep groove with a router bit ,

I had done this once before , somewhat more elaborate that cutting a simple slot IMO , but surely more stable , might also provide better options to align the lip absolutely right-angled by making the groove wider at the right spots , .....the whole thing would be filled up with glue , anyway .

Thanks for sharing , ...cheers , Dieter :yay:

Interesting the hole in the lip with the wire thru it just about guarantee's centering the lip pretty easily onto the bait... I would be interested to see if that would work with a long lip crank bait where you bring the wire out into the lip

[/quote

Griffond because I drill a lot bigger than the wire it does not really help with centering when I use the dremel I make sure the hole is the perfect size for the lip. However if you wanted you could drill the hole at the correct angle and same diameter as through wire it would be possible to have the perfect angle you require every time

Just wanted to throw this out there. A few months ago i had a couple of baits from some friends come back to me. The lips had came out of them. I posted the problem here on TU. One of the solutions was to not cut the lip slot too tight so that your glue film be to little. Just be carefull not to go too tight and have the same issue I had.

John

• Like 1

Good point John. Too tight of a slot can wipe away any epoxy and leave an extremely thin film of epoxy to try and hold the lip in. I like to cut my slot so the lip slides in easily without binding, but not so loose that it will wobble around. When cutting my slots, if anything, I like them to be just a tad tight at the band saw. That way I can use a fingernail file to widen the slot to get the type of fit I want. Another thing I do is if any filing is needed to open  the slot a bit I only file on the bottom of the slot. That way the top is left square and if necessary the lip can be wedged up against the top of the slot to make sure the lip stay square with the lure. I also drill holes in the part of the lip that fits inside the slot making sure to get epoxy in the holes when fitting the lip. This just gives a little something extra for the epoxy to bite onto.

Ben

• Like 1

Just wanted to throw this out there. A few months ago i had a couple of baits from some friends come back to me. The lips had came out of them. I posted the problem here on TU. One of the solutions was to not cut the lip slot too tight so that your glue film be to little. Just be carefull not to go too tight and have the same issue I had.

John

John

Hi jonh if you look at the pic I put up you will see that by doing it this way it will be impossible for the lip to come out if it did move very unlikely you could epoxy it again never had a prob with lips :D  l love them :yes:  

Crankie,  I really like your design. It is a sure fire way to secure the lip. My method is a two piece construction and I'm not sure how I could put it together. So far, knock on wood, I havn't had any more problems sense I started making the slot a little loser. I also cut slots toward the back of the lip as Ben stated. And for an added measure I cut out a little a material inside the lip slot with the smallest bit I have for my dremal tool to maximize glue film.

Ben- My method is the same as yours on the lip slot, I think you are the one I got from. thanks