redg8r

Tackleunderground's Future Secured...

I am hopeful, but after a lifetime in business I am also skeptical.  The skepticism has been beaten into me against my will during a lifetime in business and experience with "assurances", but there is still a ray of hope.  I will check in, participate occassionally, and wait and see.  In the mean time I'll start building up my library of other tackle making forums.  While none currently have the range of this one who can say about the future for sure.  Depending on the assurances of salesmen, managers, and even owners in the past has... well lets just say I'll wait and see, and leave it at that. 

May I ask what changes you do plan to make?

At this time we have no plans to make any changes. Our immediate goal is to have a smooth transition of ownership and make sure TU continues to be the web's top source for tackle-making info. Period.

In the future, we will be sifting through TU member suggestions and weighing the options for making updates, feature additions, etc., based on TU member feedback.

We also have a few ideas of our own, as well as some that Jerry is passing along to us. But nothing is set in stone and, once again, any changes that might be made will not be drastic and will not alter the functionality or the "openness" of the site.

So on that note, please post your suggestions and ideas here, at this thread: http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/topic/26911-tu-lpo-what-the-future-holds/

I am hopeful, but after a lifetime in business I am also skeptical.  The skepticism has been beaten into me against my will during a lifetime in business and experience with "assurances", but there is still a ray of hope.  I will check in, participate occassionally, and wait and see.  In the mean time I'll start building up my library of other tackle making forums.  While none currently have the range of this one who can say about the future for sure.  Depending on the assurances of salesmen, managers, and even owners in the past has... well lets just say I'll wait and see, and leave it at that. 

You're welcome to your opinions and skepticism based on "past assurances". I recognize the fact that change scares/irritates/intimidates a lot of people.

Honestly, nobody has anything to fear. Had Jerry not made the announcement of change of ownership, nobody would even know that LPO now owned the site and probably would not know for many months.

So, everyone, please relax, take a deep breath and just continue to carry on with building great lures, teaching others how to build great lures and ask lots of questions about how to build great lures.

That's what TU is here for... now and in the future :wink:

Curt brought up a VERY good point.  Had Jerry not made the announcement of new ownership, we as members might have never known about the change.  Jerry was not obligated to say anything, but he did.  That alone should tell you he's excited about the future of this site. 

I have never met Curt, but he seems like an upstanding guy with a ton of knowledge.  Why worry about what might change?  If anything, I see the site being even better in the future.  Let's just relax and see how everything goes.

Just my :twocents:

• Like 2

I usually frequent another online forum.  Like many others, however, I always seem to check into TU a few times a month just to see what's new and exciting.  TU has been around forever and has always had tons of useful information available to us guys who just seem to wander in the wilderness.  I just got my first order delivered a couple of weeks ago from PLO (bought some bio-silk material) and it was a good experience.  I wish the best of luck to PLO and to Curt and I hope you guys maintain the high standards that TU has established.

• Like 1

Thank you, Jerry, family and friends who put their blood, sweat and tears (showing my age) in TU and making it hands down the best tacklemaking forum....period!

I also would like to welcome Curt and wish him the best of luck...! I'm sure things will be fine with this site. I just hope we don't lose valued members as we have in the past and occasionally still do for various reasons.

Allot of times I open my mouth, hit enter and say oh, ______wish i didn't do that! Sometimes I don't care because I also like to stir the pot a bit. We have many,many different personalities here and sometimes I see an opportunity to avoid "kicking my dog" because i had a bad day or just plain didn't like what I was reading on a thread. Sometimes a few of us"go at it" but it usually works itself out before and real damage is done. But we have lost several major contributing members because of these things. It is also IMO easy to misinterpret the written word here, etc. On the other hand, some just like to push buttons.

As I welcome, you Curt, this site has been here long before you as has it's members. I cannot imagine the pressure you are under at the moment with this, but I'm sure it's immense. I do however take exception to your response to Bob because you didn''t like what he had to say. I am not friends with Bob, but I feel he is entitled to his opinion, experience or whatever he chooses to voice because he has earned his seat here. There are giver, takers and Lurkers. The Lurkers are usually the major companies with the $$$$$ stealing the creative and unique ideas allot of members here come up with.  As I stated earlier, I do not want to see TU go through another mass exodus of the best tacklemakers on the planet because their contributions are invaluable......and just to throw this in....I see the "Lost Art" of Hand Pouring coming back! Good luck and let it fly if it don't apply!

Thank you, Jerry, family and friends who put their blood, sweat and tears (showing my age) in TU and making it hands down the best tacklemaking forum....period!

I also would like to welcome Curt and wish him the best of luck...! I'm sure things will be fine with this site. I just hope we don't lose valued members as we have in the past and occasionally still do for various reasons.

Allot of times I open my mouth, hit enter and say oh, ______wish i didn't do that! Sometimes I don't care because I also like to stir the pot a bit. We have many,many different personalities here and sometimes I see an opportunity to avoid "kicking my dog" because i had a bad day or just plain didn't like what I was reading on a thread. Sometimes a few of us"go at it" but it usually works itself out before and real damage is done. But we have lost several major contributing members because of these things. It is also IMO easy to misinterpret the written word here, etc. On the other hand, some just like to push buttons.

As I welcome, you Curt, this site has been here long before you as has it's members. I cannot imagine the pressure you are under at the moment with this, but I'm sure it's immense. I do however take exception to your response to Bob because you didn''t like what he had to say. I am not friends with Bob, but I feel he is entitled to his opinion, experience or whatever he chooses to voice because he has earned his seat here. There are giver, takers and Lurkers. The Lurkers are usually the major companies with the $$$$$ stealing the creative and unique ideas allot of members here come up with.  As I stated earlier, I do not want to see TU go through another mass exodus of the best tacklemakers on the planet because their contributions are invaluable......and just to throw this in....I see the "Lost Art" of Hand Pouring coming back! Good luck and let it fly if it don't apply!

Thank you, Richard! I appreciate your constructive feedback.

Believe me when I tell you that I completely understand the difference in personalities. I have run fishing-based forums for many, many years and have seen people "duke it out", work it out and then agree to disagree. And I have also seen people leave, sometimes for no apparent reason. It's just the nature of the beast.

And yes.. sometimes typed words can be hard to decipher with regard to the tone or the true meaning of the words written.

I also know when buttons are being pushed. Enough said on that topic.

And yes.. everyone is entitled to their opinions, provided it doesn't turn into bashing or personal insults.

I agree that TU is the best place on the planet for tackle makers, and yes, I am sure that there are lurkers here that do so just for the sole purpose of stealing ideas. So goes the world, with some people bent on stealing from others. It's a shame, but, sadly, that's also just the way some people are :(

So, I hope everyone will move ahead with us and lay the fears and doubts to rest as we work together toward building an even bigger and better TU.

• Like 1

You know I'm kinda disappointed in a few of the comments made bashing LPO. This transition just happened days ago. Sounds like Curt is trying to reassure everyone that everything will be fine. I expect some some changes, I for one am an open minded person and believe in giving change a chance, I'm not a big fan of change but I will adjust to it.

Like I said a few days ago, I know Jerry personally and trust me this was not an easy decision for him to make. TU has been his life for many years and he isn't going to turn it over to just anyone. I trust Jerry's decision in turning it over to LPO and I know it's in good hands. I look forward to see what LPO has for us TU members in the future.

George.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone was bashing LPO at all.  I think most are concerned with what historically occurs when things like this occur.  I understand the time Jerry put into the place, we all do, and are thankful for it.  Whether it is correct or not many feel they had a huge part in the success of the site and have very much molded this site into what it.  For me there was a large core group of guys that are "masters" most of us think of short list of names when we think hard baits, soft plastics, etc...  guys that just know the craft.  The fear is if the the site morphed into something where these guys moved on (some have and I believe the site hurt for it) we would end up well.....like a lot of baits "boy it looks pretty but it won't catch a fish".

Edited by Travis

Thanks George,

Travis,  I hear ya, some will remember...

Looking back, we were a small group of builders on another site, run by (Erik) one bright guy with a day job who got in over his head & let it fall into disrepair.

When the site went offline (for longer than usual) a few of us discussed setting up another forum to keep our group together.

I already had a forum setup to support a lure carving machine I'd been working on (Anyone remember the "Duplik8r"??) so we started gathering there to what would later become Tackle Underground.

We had no visions of grandeur, no preconceived notions, we were just sick, crazy, obsessed tackle makers who stumbled into craft stores at 8pm coated in sawdust looking for glitter & a wedding veil to cut up. We were packrats, hoarding epoxy, plaster, wheelweights....swiping pyrex cups from our wives, & gladly taking heat for it.

Parts were sparse & anything lying around was a potential lure component. 

We needed each other to validate our insanity & our original home on the web was just gone....like that....poof.... no warning, no explanation.

I despised Erik for a long time for doin that to us, but we saved an ember & relit that fire here.

I promised myself from the start, no matter what, I'd never run TU that way... how hard could it be right??

You starting to draw a parallel yet?

I've said this before, my hobby was making tackle, now my hobby is making sure you enjoy your hobby.

TU has had much better days....she needs work & it will take full-time devotion to turn that around.

I promised myself I'd never run TU that way & I've now kept that promise. I've become TU's #1 problem and I'm fixing that problem, I'm in her way & its well overdue.

I've entertained offers for awhile, from fellow members on up to conglomerates who own 100's of forums with topics from sports cars to Japanese anime' I could've $$ out, no notice & sacrificed all our work in the process. I vetted & chose who I felt would carry on our day-to-day & work to refuel that fire lit over a decade ago.

I hear and understand everyone's feelings.... LPO is a company, but one genuinely vested in our success. They know we are independent thinkers...they know we shop all over...there are many symbiotic avenues for TU & LPO that don't involve them forcing product down our throats.

Bottom line?..... they hope to earn your business by maintaining this site, serving your best interests & help you refine your craft.... how?? well, as usual, it's up to you:

Concerns are understood,

A few weeks from now I'll be a normal TU member & I'll reap or forfeit along with you, my friends.

Jerry "redg8r" 

• Like 4

Jerry - I would personally like to thank you for the time, effort, and energy you have invested in TU.  I'm sure it hasn't always been an easy journey for you but I'm also sure that there are literally hundreds that feel as I do - truly grateful that you made this site into what it is - an avenue to make available the sharing of knowledge, thoughts, suggestions, and ideas.  In my opinion you have done a helluva job with this website over the years.  :yay:

Curt - Welcome to TU.  Nice to meet another fellow New Englander on the board.  I can understand the anxieties of some about the website.  I thought Ben's analogy about the boots and shotgun was very fitting.  I actually had to check my own profile to see when I registered with TU - 2005.  Wow...  It's been fun for the last eight years and I look forward to the next eight. 

Rick H.

SE CT

(Southeastern Connecticut)

• Like 1

Wow..... I just found this post. It really saddens me to think of Jerry not running the site. However, the guy has taken an ass beating keeping this place up and running as smooth as he has. To be honest I am supprised he has stuck it out this long. I know the time that he has put into it has been exhausting. I have been a Red Gator fan before TU. :worship:  I know the sacrifices you made back then too. And I still have my Duplik8r plans. So Jerry.... may God bless and keep you and your family. I hope you enjoy your retirement from TU. You have definitely earned it. Just don't go away. Come back and see us. Please.  P.S. If you continue to make baits.... don't forget the Devcon.

Curt.... Welcome. Thank you for keeping our playground going. Excuse our rudeness. As you can see... there is a lot of love for Jerry here. I wish you all the best with the site. If Jerry picked you out then I know that you are the best man for the job. Let me know if I can help.

As for the rest of you guys out there, don't forget, many people made TU what it is today. Jerry gave us a place to discuss ideas and learn from each other. It was the information that was put on the site originally that brought people here. I think when I joined TU there were 32 of us. They had to coax me over from the old site. I have never looked back. I encourage everyone to contribute to the helpful information that has made it the wonderful site that it is today. It is the best site on the web for bait making information that there is. So lets roll up our sleeves and get back to slinging sawdust.

God Bless,

Skeeter

• Like 2

I despised Erik for a long time for doin that to us, but we saved an ember & relit that fire here.
I promised myself from the start, no matter what, I'd never run TU that way... how hard could it be right??

You starting to draw a parallel yet?

Jerry "redg8r" 

As a regular visitor but rare login, I feel compelled to give credit where credit is due to anyone who runs a site like this.  Especially when it deals with the explorative craft side of angling which has got to be a tough venture.  Whether we call it the fringe or the cutting edge, I doubt it's ever dull from the admin side of the screen.

That said, THANKS redg8r!  Both for continuing the home and resource when Eric's site was flickering out way back then and for the trip down memory lane up in post #65.  Your decision here has got to be the toughest kind to make, but then the right decisions usually are nothing less than that.  The quote above pretty much sums it all up and you're the only expert on these matters.  Sounds like you're handing it over with the same great work ethic and practicality you started the site with, it's as much as anyone could hope for.  Good man.

Welcome LPO and best of luck with the future.  Though the idea of such ownership may spook some, there may well be a synergy that comes from a supplier in this case.  Sometimes new ideas come from new parts or vice versa and most new ideas, however unflattering it may seem to some, are derivative in some fashion from other notions.  Thus no worries about "idea stealing" or pimping need be had, one argue it's actually the lifeblood of the craft in some subtle ways.  Perhaps the life blood of innovation in general.

• Like 1

Jerry - I would personally like to thank you for the time, effort, and energy you have invested in TU.  I'm sure it hasn't always been an easy journey for you but I'm also sure that there are literally hundreds that feel as I do - truly grateful that you made this site into what it is - an avenue to make available the sharing of knowledge, thoughts, suggestions, and ideas.  In my opinion you have done a helluva job with this website over the years.  :yay:

Curt - Welcome to TU.  Nice to meet another fellow New Englander on the board.  I can understand the anxieties of some about the website.  I thought Ben's analogy about the boots and shotgun was very fitting.  I actually had to check my own profile to see when I registered with TU - 2005.  Wow...  It's been fun for the last eight years and I look forward to the next eight. 

Rick H.

SE CT

(Southeastern Connecticut)

Thanks Rick!

I live in Southwestern RI, so we're probably only a stone's throw away from each other!

What lakes do you like to fish? I fish Amos, Gardner, Billings and others in that general area.

As a regular visitor but rare login, I feel compelled to give credit where credit is due to anyone who runs a site like this.  Especially when it deals with the explorative craft side of angling which has got to be a tough venture.  Whether we call it the fringe or the cutting edge, I doubt it's ever dull from the admin side of the screen.

That said, THANKS redg8r!  Both for continuing the home and resource when Eric's site was flickering out way back then and for the trip down memory lane up in post #65.  Your decision here has got to be the toughest kind to make, but then the right decisions usually are nothing less than that.  The quote above pretty much sums it all up and you're the only expert on these matters.  Sounds like you're handing it over with the same great work ethic and practicality you started the site with, it's as much as anyone could hope for.  Good man.

Welcome LPO and best of luck with the future.  Though the idea of such ownership may spook some, there may well be a synergy that comes from a supplier in this case.  Sometimes new ideas come from new parts or vice versa and most new ideas, however unflattering it may seem to some, are derivative in some fashion from other notions.  Thus no worries about "idea stealing" or pimping need be had, one argue it's actually the lifeblood of the craft in some subtle ways.  Perhaps the life blood of innovation in general.

Thank You :)

I look forward to helping lead TU into the next phase of its life :)

Wow..... I just found this post. It really saddens me to think of Jerry not running the site. However, the guy has taken an ass beating keeping this place up and running as smooth as he has. To be honest I am supprised he has stuck it out this long. I know the time that he has put into it has been exhausting. I have been a Red Gator fan before TU. :worship:  I know the sacrifices you made back then too. And I still have my Duplik8r plans. So Jerry.... may God bless and keep you and your family. I hope you enjoy your retirement from TU. You have definitely earned it. Just don't go away. Come back and see us. Please.  P.S. If you continue to make baits.... don't forget the Devcon.

Curt.... Welcome. Thank you for keeping our playground going. Excuse our rudeness. As you can see... there is a lot of love for Jerry here. I wish you all the best with the site. If Jerry picked you out then I know that you are the best man for the job. Let me know if I can help.

As for the rest of you guys out there, don't forget, many people made TU what it is today. Jerry gave us a place to discuss ideas and learn from each other. It was the information that was put on the site originally that brought people here. I think when I joined TU there were 32 of us. They had to coax me over from the old site. I have never looked back. I encourage everyone to contribute to the helpful information that has made it the wonderful site that it is today. It is the best site on the web for bait making information that there is. So lets roll up our sleeves and get back to slinging sawdust.

God Bless,

Skeeter

Thank you Skeeter! Appreciate the encouragement, and I intend to do everything necessary to keep TU alive and thriving for many, many years to come.

99% of what we worry about never happens!

Well said!