BlueBird

How Do You Attach Your Skirt Tabs

OK. Here goes.

I am new to making spinners. I have been making jigs for 8 years. I got into spinner baits because I was sick of cheaply made expensive baits you buy at the major sporting good stores.

The elastic they use to tie the skirts allways seem to be rotten.

So I hand tie my skirt tabs on with an all purpuse thread, then I put a clear nail polish on the thread ( not sure why i do the nail polish, but I heard it was a good idea)

So my question is

How do you guys attach your silicone skirts?

hand tie, tie strap or the old school elastics

I hand tie just about everything with 24 guage wire from parawire.com.  There wire is color coated copper so it will never tarnish and you can match the color wire to your skirts.  For the small jigs I use the o-rings like you get from fishing skirts except I buy my o-rings from a place called BDI  http://www.bdi-usa.com/.  The o-rings cost around a $1.00 per 150.  I don't know what they cost on their website because I buy them direct.  You can also get your o-rings for senkos and neko rigging from them. 

When putting on 2 or 3 colors how do you get the strands evenly distributed before anchoring them?  I am not dexterous enough to hold skirt strands in place and wrap at the same time and the elastic bands hold everything too tight to rearrange the strands.  

Do they make an oversized  elastic band that would allow maneuvering the strands after skirt is on the jig?  I think I could do the wire wrap if something like a band is holding the skirt in place while wrapping it.. 

• Like 1

"Painter 1  Said=

Do they make an oversized  elastic band that would allow maneuvering the strands after skirt is on the jig?  I think I could do the wire wrap if something like a band is holding the skirt in place while wrapping it.. "

Use a slightly larger "O" Ring ... slip on to stem (With strands on as near as you would like for them to be)  ... slide the strands the way you want them ..  then wrap with wire ... slide "O" ring off ..  You need to try several different size "O" rings until you get the size you can work with best

"Painter 1  Said=

Do they make an oversized  elastic band that would allow maneuvering the strands after skirt is on the jig?  I think I could do the wire wrap if something like a band is holding the skirt in place while wrapping it.. "

Use a slightly larger "O" Ring ... slip on to stem (With strands on as near as you would like for them to be)  ... slide the strands the way you want them ..  then wrap with wire ... slide "O" ring off ..  You need to try several different size "O" rings until you get the size you can work with best

I will be trying the O ring method the next time I make up a skirt.  Thanks.

Joel,
              Attached is a tutorial on how to do this. I use 3 wraps of wire. You can use two. I tie my skirt on with the weedguardin place. You can do it withpout the weedguard and then glue it in place later. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Hand Tying Skirts.pdf

Hand Tying Skirts.pdf

Hand Tying Skirts.pdf

Hand Tying Skirts.pdf

Hand Tying Skirts.pdf

Hand Tying Skirts.pdf

Hand Tying Skirts.pdf

Hand Tying Skirts.pdf

Hand Tying Skirts.pdf

Edited by cadman

Very nicely done.  I do the same thing, but I use small needle nose vice grips, held vertically, to twist the wire, and I leave about 3/4" of the twist, to bend down and use as an additional plastic trailer hanger.

Hey Mark,

On the jigs that have a ball end collar, I do the same as you. I leave the tag ends longer, and then I bend it into the jig, and finally I bend up a little leg, which I then use to hold my trailer on. Minds that think alike are dangerous. LOL. Must be making jigs too many years, and slowly losing it.

Thanks Cadman, Nice write up! I'm going to have to try that!

I like the trailer hanger idea too Mark

Joel, once you get a few under your belt it is pretty easy. You may find that you will have some easier ways to do this than I do. It's all about making it as easy as possible.

Cadman,

Off subject but I am always impressed at the amazing paint you are able to do with your tap technique and powder paint. My hat is off to your skill and expertise with this. Just looking at your last photo on your tutorial.

Apdriver,

Thank You very much for the compliment.