cbj11lbs

Moisture In Plastisol

Been having some bad bubble issues with my plastic and I spoke with Frank on the phone last night and he suggested I most likely have moisture in the drum I am using being that florida is very humid.  has anyone had experience with this? Is there a way to draw the moisture out and keep it out? Thanks guys, also thanks Frank for your time and help again

Salt,  Put it in a open bucket and float it in your drum, hang it from a rope. Best I can think off, It will draw the moisture to it. Likely wont get it all, IMO I think it is some of the ingredeients going around the market right now. I have seen the same plastic from 2 separate batches, One old, one new have bubbles in it.

Edited by Baitjunkys

Living in Florida myself I can tell you this. I have tried four different Plastisol. Two had none or very few bubbles. (LC and M-F) The other two had a lot. To the point that I would never buy them again. Good thing about living in Florida is the winters are very dry and not very cold. Great for pouring. The summer with high heat and 98% humidly plus all the bugs. Well, It is easy to have trouble with stuff.  I don't buy in drums, So I can't tell you about what happens inside of one. I can tell you one of the Plastisol that was  bad with bubbles. Would pop when heated. Condensation in it? Maybe, maybe not.

By dropping water into heating plastisol will 100% make it pop or make you duck really quick if would try some with proper gear & protection or the same effect like pouring hot plastic into an open bucket of water, depending how hot that plastic is. Small amount of water in some plastisol can either gather on top of the lid and be drawn in by pressure or just an open lid contamination and happens more than you think by a can of beer or melt off of a coke can, very little water will show up in say 40 gallons of plastic.

Moisture can do this also in Texas same as Florida can make condensation when there’s ice on top of the building then turn heaters on and heat metal drums up accidentally and make small amounts of moisture and can easily be cooked out in a short period of time. No ice here as of now.

If what you are explaining that it started and didn’t have this problem and does now would be human error probably and not condensation. It can cook out in time but we have never 100% effectively drawn water out of a drum. I have never seen this just stored with the correct lid tightened correctly.

In mean time buy you some fresh to stop the frustration until you get this figured out if you need to pour at this time to fish or fill orders.

Hope this helps

Could it be stirring the drum too fast and introducing air that way?

It's possible.  I've heard of guys that would use wooden spoons to mix their plastic and moisture would be introduced.  Speaking from personal experience, though, I can tell you that I used an old wooden baseball bat to break up LC's hardener on the bottom.  I did everything known to man (not knowing then what I know now) to allow moisture to seep in, and never had any bubble problems.  That is with the right plastisol.  LC settled but never bubbled.  MF did neither one.  In other words, I still think it's your plastisol.  It's either poorer quality or it had moisture in it before you opened it. 

Not trying to make this a plastic debate by any means, but you pay for what you get.   I can tell you that I used about 6 different brands when I poured, always trying to save a buck or two .  There were some brands (not mentioning any names) that bubbled, smoked, and stunk like crazy.  The one trick I found at the time was a product used for stopping foam and/or bubbles in carpet cleaning machines.  I believe the brand name was Zep.  About a ounce of that in a gallon of plastic took care of the bubble problem, but obviously didn't help the smoke or smell.  Bottom line is every time I tried to save a few pennies, it wasn't worth it for me to work with a poor quality plastisol, so I always ended up going back to the original brands. 

Keep in mind that some guys have made very prominent businesses while using plastic that never worked for me.  I guess I was just too lazy to make it a pourable product.  LOL

well the thing that frustrates me is, Ive been using the same stuff in the exact same way for 8 months without this problem.  I even used 15 gallons of the drum before it started bubbling like crazy.  So i think something happened moreso than just bad plastic or cheap plastic, it is cheaper plastic but I didnt have these problems like this when heating slowly in a pot.  thanks

Ive actually been quite pleased with the plastic last 8 months

well the thing that frustrates me is, Ive been using the same stuff in the exact same way for 8 months without this problem.  I even used 15 gallons of the drum before it started bubbling like crazy.  So i think something happened moreso than just bad plastic or cheap plastic, it is cheaper plastic but I didnt have these problems like this when heating slowly in a pot.  thanks

Ive actually been quite pleased with the plastic last 8 months

Ok didn't catch that earlier.  Sounds like it must be a 55-gallon drum if you've already used 15 gallons?  If so, and it just now started bubbling, like Jeff said it has to be improperly sealed.  Draw just the plastic you need and seal that drum tightly every time.  In the meantime, you might try the Zep product to help with the bubbles as I'm afraid you won't be able to able to dump the moisture from this batch.

On a side note, I always purchased in the smaller 5-gallon drums, and I noticed a difference in quality with some of the cheaper plastisols.  I might get 3 or 4 great batches, then pick up a 5-gallon bucket that bubbled like crazy.  Just something to look out for............

Micro waving plastisol cause bubbles- Presto Pots w/ stirrers do not. That said, metal drums sweat  due to changes in temps. and humidity.Although more expensive , I buy 55 gallons of plastisol in 5 gallon ,plastic buckets. No metal 55 gallon drum to dispose off w/out raising eyebrows/ w/ many questions.

Scoop the bubbles off of the top  of microwaves plastisol and save them for adding to baits you wish to have high floating capabilities- especially darker colors.

I'll refrain from mentioning names but I refuse to use plastisol that hard packs, smells and smokes excessively. Some clear plastisols discolor easily to an amber color under heat  which is totally UN-acceptable when making shad color baits w/ white/pearl bellies and or dipping clear over injected baits.

You just have to pay the price/time and dues  to  find which brand works best for your application.

No.  That looks like the actual carpet cleaner.  Zep makes (or maybe USED to make) an agent that I believe was called "No Foam".  I was very hesitant in trying it at first because of the risk of it being water-based, so I tried it with just a couple ounces of plastic and it worked great.  From there, I used it for only those plastics that bubbled and had no problems.  Keep in mind that this was over 10 years ago, so I'm not sure if the product even exists any more.  If this helps any, I DO know I bought it at Home Depot.