Painter1

Ear Ball Rig

I recently aquired an Ear Ball Mold and poured some up.  I would prefer to attach the hook directly vs using a split ring.  

Any recommendations on hook type or best way to open and close the hook eye?

I notice that other available similar heads are football shaped.  Not seeing one that shape frpom DO-IT though. 

I sell a lot of ball jig rigs for Flounder. I thought about opening up the eye and going right onto the ball eye, but that seemed like a real pain in bulk. I have the Do it mold that has the recessed eye on it, not the smooth round one. I can mold mine with a swivel on the eye, but still need the split ring for it.

Why are you against the split ring?  Makes for easy hook changes while fishing if needed.  Myself, I hook the split ring right on the ball eye...no swivel. That's the way my customers want them. Bending the eye open and closing, does that make the eye weak, an prone to opening while reeling one in on small, lighter hooks?

Do-It has a football head coming out that is what your talking about not sure what the hook types will be compatible but give Jerry a shout they may have that worked out buy now.

http://custombaits.com/index.php?topic=3900.0

Now that kind of ticks me off lol. I just bought that minnow head a month ago and wished it would have had that wire keeper.  I can dremel mine out though.

I have opened up the eyes on Mustad 32798's in a Arkie to make up bladed jigs. It isn't too hard. I took a piece of flat stock drilled a small hole right on the edge so I could place the eye of that hook over the hole and let the rest of the jig lay off and away from the piece of stock. Then take a small center punch and place it in the eye. Then give it a good rap with a small hammer. You can close it with a pair of pliers. Never had any problems with it weakening. That's not to say it didn't though.

Apdriver,

I do the same thing, but I set it up on a small drill press. I drilled right inro the table and the handel wheel gives me better control. I can also set the chuck depth so I dont over open them.

Bassdeucer,

Not sure what you mean here. You open the eye of the hook up with your drill press? I drilled my piece of stock with the drill press.

Personally I like the split ring myself. That way I can always replace the hook if it becomes necessary and the split ring gives the hook more freedom of movement.

Some of my Shawn Collins molds have a slot into the center of the eye cavity of the mold.

This allows me to put a hook directly onto the wire eye and into the mold before casting.

I tried it and decided the split ring works much better for me.

You might want to look into using open eye single siwash hooks. I know Gamakatsu make some that are popular in my area for fishing where treble hooks are not allowed.

The open eye is just that and you close it with pliers. Guys around here just cut off the trebles on spinners and plugs and just attach a single siwash of the size they want. They only come in one style though so may not be what you are looking for.