the-bass-catcher

New tricks I've picked up...

First off, Its great to be back after a grueling school schedule. A lot of really cool things, such as the photofinishing process, have come up since my last visit. I was wondering if anyone had tried put some of those Createx Chameleon colors over the photo lures...it could give some glimmer to the lure and make it look a little more like a fish.

Two clearcoating tips:

1.) When doing a glitter topcoat, mix it in with the devcon 2 ton and paint it on (it WILL settle to the bottom under the surface finish if you get the ultra-fine stuff), but first go over your eyes without the glitter. It just gives it a more professional look, I think.

2.) When clearcoating a lure where the line tie and the hook anchors are already in place, bend a paper clip partially straight and use it to clean out the excess that gets in the anchors. You may have to stop the rotation of the bait a couple of times to clean them out, but it saves you from having to cut it out with a blade after it dries hard.

I'll hopefully get my first two custom lures posted soon...

Richoc,

You da man.... Keep using that Envirotex!!!! It is the best quality clearcoat that there is. As long as something no larger than a bluegill hits it your lure and it bumps into something no harder than coontail moss your bait will hold up just fine.

Bass Catcher,

Don't worry, it won't yellow.

Skeeter

aka........Devil Anse Hatfield :twisted:

Eww...touchy subject. My avatar is a close-up of a scanned bait of mine, and it has stayed white for about a year and a half, and yes, it has seen its share of sunshine on the casting deck...no yellowing yet. Maybe the only solution is to get someone to do some non-biased experiments with both types...until then I'm standing beside my devcon 2 ton! :lol:

A non-bias party would have no clue how to work with the Etex.

I hope all are taking this in good fun.

We will use what we use untill we find better.

If you are happy with it, that is what matters.

Richoc

"The Etex Devil"

Try the dark side and you will never look back.

Almost forgot .........Bass are a Bait fish up here.

Well I guess I will apologize. I just couldn't resist stirring the pot. Yes, is just fun. Everyone has their own opinion and the many readers will have to just try them all an figure out which one is for them.

the-bass-catcher

I see it didn't take you long to figure out what I meant and I also noticed that you couldn't resist the temptation yourself. To be real honest, I get a good laugh everytime you guys get on this. :lol::lol:

Tally

aka "Devcon Dave" :P

Boys, Boys, Boys,

This is a very serious subject. We wouldn't want to steer the new crankbait makers on this site in the wrong direction. As everyone can see.... Richoc and Chip are constantly talking of "The Dark Side" That should be hint enough.

Tally,

Get that Choirboy look off of your face...... some of us know better.

Richoc,

Sure, I would love to try your jigs. I use them allot in the fall. Do you think they would be dry by then?

Skeeter B)

Fellers, Fellers, Fellers.......

This etex guru :twisted: just wants to say that I switched from Devcon to Etex after Cracks and surface failures started appearing in the lures I am supplying to my prostaff. They put lures to the test. Since switching entirely to Etex, No Problems.......

Each must choose what he is most happy with. The first bait I ever coated with Devcon.... Well...I was so proud of how it came out.... Its a beautiful finish, but after the failures with the prostaff I had to use something else that I found superior....

This new Silane based resin coating I am formulating is pretty promising..... so far, so good... Tough Stuff and I have had them under Excellerated Stability Studies with UV lighting for a month now with no yellowing.... These are intense UV lights!

Take Care!

Chip :)

Chip,

I had that type of failure once too with Devcon. I did a post on the problem and the cause. My thought is that somewhere you missed a spot when covering the bait with the Devcon. If I am not mistaken you guys pour the Etex over the bait. This probably ensures a complete coverage over your painted surface rather than brushing it on like I do with Devcon. Once water gets to the wood and the lure starts to swell, the cracks and finish failures will happen.

Skeeter

Skeeter,

I spray Etex, through a air brush or Brush it on......

Been doing it for 20 years, that way.

Chip is doing the same.

The pouring is for the Bar tops were it is on a level surface.

That is why Chip nicknamed me the "Etex devil" in a previous post.

I liked it, so keeping it.

Richoc

"The Etex Devil"

There you go Sam! I think it is good that each person stands beside their personal preference, but to an outsider we'd all look like a bunch of fools arguing over something so small. But on the other hand, an outsider wouldn't know how important the clearcoat is...hmm...

There's something for us to think about... :lol:

I once had a problem with devcon after I first began using it. Sometimes spots on the bait wouldn't harden...but that was only because I was in too much of a rush and didn't stir the blend good enough!

Benton,

The wrist is doing well. I get this (@$& cast off on the 28th. The only problem is that my arm looks like a tooth pick. Got alot of ball squeezing to do to get it back to size. Not being able to work on my baits has just killed me. I'm behind on everything. The wrist is stiff but getting back to sanding will loosen it up.

Skeeter

Basscatcher,

You are exactly right about the spots, they are caused by problems with mixing. This is why I always mix in a small dixie cup. The cup insures that all of the epoxy becomes part of the mix. If you try to mix the stuff on a flat surface it's very easy for some to escape and become a "sticky spot" on the final product.

RM