mark poulson

Messinger Frog

The instructions I've seen have bent pins.

http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/documents/Best-Messinger-Bucktail-Frog.pdf

If you want more kick you should be able to use a piece of heavy mono with an overhand knot at the knee. Remember to use bucktail and not deer body hair.

bill

Edited by scrubs

It helps if you put a loop below the knee bend in the wire . Thread likes to slip . That gives you something to hang onto if you need to adjust it . Also after you tie it off put some clear coat on the thread before you make your leg bend . Keeps the thread seperation down to a minimum .

Hello --first post here. Just wanted to say that Joe Messinger is a good personal friend of mine (we teach fly tying together). There was a VHS made back in the early 90's on tying the frog. We've converted it to DVD a few years back. If anyone wanted a copy I could get the info to get one. The legs are the hardest part, with the spring action and all. They work great though.

Messinger Frog Fly

Edited by davidfishes
  • Like 1

If I'm not mistaken I recently read an article on this frog (can't remember the magazine) written by the creators son I assume this would be joe where he shows you how to tie it with illustrations I will try to find it again but I am interested in the video info