Tally

Lip placement and design

Bare with me, I am still pretty new at this. I am playing with lip design and placement and would like some imput. 2 Baits: Poe's 300 and a wiggle wart.

Q1: If you took the bill off of a wiggle wart and installed it on the Poe's 300, would the Poe's have the action of the wiggle wart? Q2: and visa versa?

Years ago I can remember the "Big O" being a very popular and productive bait. Big body, little bill.

Thanks

Tally

The 300 will probably not behave exactly like the wiggle wart for several reasons:

1. The body size, style, and weight are not the same.

2. They are made out of different materials.

3. The lip on the wiggle wart comes out at an angle. The lip on the 300 is straight. I have dropped the angle on a 300 lip 5 deg. and to me it gives the lure too much wobble. However, I did catch fish on it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there are different sizes of wiggle warts. I would try the one out of a larger wiggle wart. Give it a try. This is how some great crankbaits are made.

Skeeter.

Yes there are three different sizes of warts......the wee, wiggle, and magnum. The wee is a great bait but after one steelhead I could never get the damn things to run right again. The wiggle wart is the best of the bunch IMHO. As far as lip placement, keep experimenting as what you expect to happen rarely does.

Jed

Skeeter-

I have thrown every size wart there is. I do not care too much more the wee wart, but the rest of them are great.

I guess what I was really looking for is: Is there a rule that says a shallow running bail has to be a smaller bait overall? I am not looking for short cuts, just some knowledge. You know me well enogh to know I already know what I am trying to achieve, I just need to figure out how to get there.

Riverman-

How well I know! I have more trial and error's than I care to talk about. In fact, I know more about what not to do vs. what to do.

Dave

Tally,

Believe it or not, short lips are a different ball game. Last summer I did alot of experimentation. I learned so much. No, the bait does not have to be small to use a short lip. Also, the width of the lip does not effect the action that much. The main thing in short lips is how far down the front of the bait from the nose the slot is cut and the angle of the slot itself. This will control the wobble and the dive angle. The other real important thing is where the line tie exits. You can take the large crank that you made and put a short lip in it with no problem. If you have any questions, you know how to reach me.

Skeeter