HickoryHollow

Where Do Most Of You Sell?

Hi everybody! I am new to the forum and lure making for that matter too. I have the first dozen or so wooden lures under my belt and they came out pretty darn good (if I do say so myself) lol

It is the VERY early stages of my little business. I know competition is really tuff and I don't expect to get rich or break all records. What I am hoping for is selling enough lures to help supplement my retirement coming in another 18 months or so. Three or four hundred dollars a month would make me really happy. I know not to expect that at all for a while, but I have a year and a half to "grow" my business.

My question is, where do most of you sell your lures? Are sites like E-bay or Etsy successful? I have several connections at local bait shops and can probably get my lures in them, but hate to sell wholesale, and I know that would only be a few lures here and there.

Do you have success with your own website? Just what has worked well for others in here?

Oh, and I am sure these questions have been asked and answered before, so I tried to find a search option for topics but can't figure out a way to do a search.

Thanks for any help you can be.....and by the way....this is a GREAT site!

Am pretty new at it to. I got in a few local baitshops, and there doing okay there. I have sold quite a few on ebay. It really depends on what kind of lures you make, as far as ebay is concern. I make square bill cranks, and there is some pretty stiff competition in that arena. I do better on ebay selling a lot of lures then one at a time. I have yet to launch a website and it still a little way down the road, but I know once I do, I well be giving a few lures to fishound, its free advertising for online buyers. 

You might want to consider a new site called Fishing Gear (http://www.fishinggear.com). Think of it as Etsy for lure makers!

The site just launched a few weeks ago and is getting some good publicity. Check it out when you get a chance.

I just checked out the site. That is an unbelievably incredible source! Thanks a bunch for sharing that link!

Have you thought of Flee Markets and perhaps just some casting and talking at your local boat launches or busy fishing piers on the weekends if you just want to sell a few... it's an easy way to get word of mouth going... 

Now, that's not a bad idea! Especially if I can pull a bass or two while they are watching!

Remember that the sky is the limit when it comes to selling your stuff. You can sell online, either on your own website, at places like www.fishinggear.com, etsy.com or even eBay.

But don't forget local tackle shops, word of mouth, local bass club meetings, etc. It just takes a little creativity and a lot of hard work ;)

If you contact the admin, FishingGear.com is giving qualified sellers 6 months on the 5% power sellers plan for free.

Definitely contact Jeff if you're interested in signing up. He is giving special discounts to new sellers right now as a way of launching the site and building the seller base.