mythos

Looking For Scale Netting

That is the shape "netting" I have been using. I got it by buying the "plastic" scrubbing pads made for washing teflon pans. They are $1 in a 2 pack at Dollar General. Unroll them and cut to size. I am not sure if they are all this pattern, but the ones I found were.

Edited by HickoryHollow

You can also use the rubber roll out mat that's for you cabinets. It's a little bit different patter than the normal look. I been trying to figure out how to use the wire mesh use for auto body work. I'm trying to see if I can shape it to fit a lure kinda like a clam shell stencil does. Not having much luck on that so far but it does work great for doing foiled scale patterns. Solar made a video for that on u tube.

The fabric in the picture looks like tule. It's available at any craft store in a variety of sizes.

Has anyone tried fiberglass drywall tape for scale patterns?

I tried it when I first started painting.  

You have to be sure that your base coat is dry and hard, or the glue from the mesh tape will stick too well once it's heated, and pull some of the base coat paint.

But I got some interesting scale patterns by overlaying one piece of mesh with a second that was offset from the first.  The scales came out with a 3D effect.  

And the self-adhesive feature is very handy.

I tried it when I first started painting.  

You have to be sure that your base coat is dry and hard, or the glue from the mesh tape will stick too well once it's heated, and pull some of the base coat paint.

But I got some interesting scale patterns by overlaying one piece of mesh with a second that was offset from the first.  The scales came out with a 3D effect.  

And the self-adhesive feature is very handy.

Mark, have you tried sticking the dry wall tape to your jeans, or some other fabric, before putting it on the lure? I've done this with painters tape and the lint from the fabric takes away some of the stickiness and makes it easier to remove without lifting paint layers.

Ben

• Like 1

The fabric in the picture looks like tule. It's available at any craft store in a variety of sizes.

Has anyone tried fiberglass drywall tape for scale patterns?

The Thule I have used is shaped like small diamonds, and I did not like it. The pic is more of a circular pattern in my opinion

The Thule I have used is shaped like small diamonds, and I did not like it. The pic is more of a circular pattern in my opinion

The Thule I bought from a fabric store was stiff.  I found that shooting a couple of heat set coats of paint through it softened it a little.  

I really like the plastic mesh that garlic heads from Gilroy are packaged in.  It is a fine mesh, but it stretches, so it hugs my smaller cranks better.

Another soft mesh is the green mesh that avocados come in.  It is a larger, multi-sized mesh that really makes for a neat, almost 3D effect, when I put it over my Thule mesh before I spray my scale color.

I had some pictures of swimbaits with that effect, silver over black, in the gallery, but I don't know how to find them now.

I'll repost one I found in my computer in the Hard Baits gallery now.  It seems to be the only one I have left.

I hope you can see the effect.

The 3D effect shows more in the water, for some reason.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

That is the shape "netting" I have been using. I got it by buying the "plastic" scrubbing pads made for washing teflon pans. They are $1 in a 2 pack at Dollar General. Unroll them and cut to size. I am not sure if they are all this pattern, but the ones I found were.

Edited by lbslures1

Attached is a picture of the scale netting I'm looking for.  I've been the Micheal's, but they don't carry this type of netting.

If anyone have some and are willing to sale some of it, let me know.

Thanks.

Thomas

I have a large piece of that same netting that I would give to you at no charge if I knew how to get it to you. I got it thinking I could use it in some form of painting scales but could not.