mark poulson

Anyone Fished These Reels?

Back in the '60's I was surf fishing in SoCal, when an angler walked up and started fishing just down the beach with this kind of reel.  I was using a Penn Jigmaster, and he outcast me almost 100%.

His reel looked like a 6" circular spool that pivoted from an open faced position (like a spinning reel)on the cast to a side reel (like a direct drive bait caster) on the retrieve.

He said it was Australian (so was he), and he called it a Quik Reel.

I just found it again, after all this time, and wondered if anyone here was familiar with them.

Here's their USA link:

www.alveyusa.com

And here's the reel I just bought, for $32+:

http://www.alveyusa.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=2

Edited by mark poulson

Mark, I seem to remember something about a reel like this quite a few years ago. I was big into bow fishing back then and the type of reels suitable for that were really limited. I remember thinking this type reel would hold a goodly amount of braided line and by being able to rotate into a spinning reel configuration it would have little drag when the arrow was released. In those days we were limited to braided Dacron which is much bigger than the braids we have now so it naturally took up more space on a reel. I never did purchase the reel though.

Ben

The reel should be here soon.  I'll post a review.

The one I say back then seemed to throw off line on the cast like a dream, and the rotating spool was slick!

Of course, it is a 1 to 1 retrieve, so I'm sure it'll be a little slower than the spinning reels I now use, but, with a 4" spool, it should take up pretty well.

Don,

I thought about that, too, but I'm going to try it with a spinning rod to begin with, and see how that works.

Their website illustration for side casting shows a hybrid rod, with a butt closer in length to a trigger rod, but almost the diameter of the rod itself.  It's like a fly rod with a short butt.

I'm guessing there will be a learning curve.  

I'll let you know.

Fingers crossed!

Edited by mark poulson

Well, it arrived today, and it is really clean.  The spool pivot from cast to retrieve is a little stiff, but I spoke to the US rep. and he said the micarta material the reel is made out of doesn't need lube when new.  He says he hits his own reel every so often with WD40.

I had to sand the bottom of the reel seat a little to get it flat, but it went onto a Quantum spinning reel with no problem.

It is light!

The line capacity says 500 meters, but I don't think I'll put that much on.  Some mono backing first, and then braid, with a fluoro leader, like I do my regular spinning stuff.

I'm going to spool it up tomorrow, and take it up to the local pond for a tryout.

I'll keep you posted, and try to post a picture or two.

Well, I spooled it up with mono backing, 30lb braid, and a 6lb fluoro leader, put on a 3/16oz drop shot sinker, and went out in front to try it.

I felt like a monkey trying to f**k a football.  A total klutz! I was casting with the wind, and using a med. action 7' spinning rod, and I barely cast 50'.  

I can see there is a STEEP learning curve, or, since it an Australian reel, maybe I need to be upside down to cast it.

Whatever.  I'll give it another go with a heavier sinker later today to see if that makes a difference.

The spool sits so close to the reel I can see why the instructions say to use your thumb instead of your index finger to hold back the line during the cast.  And it is definately a two handed cast, at least for now.  

I had hoped it would be an agile finesse reel, but I think I was dreaming.

I'm sure I'll figure it out.  I'm just not sure when!  Thank goodness it only cost $35, delivered!  Hahaha

I'm thinking a 15' surf rod, 4 oz. sinker and a 40 mph downwind. Just don't throw it toward Texas. I'd hate to get hit by a sinker traveling at mach 3. :eek:

Ben

I'm think along those lines, too.  But first I'm going to try it with a light drop shot rod that will load better with a 3/16oz sinker.

It may just be operator error, again.  Doh!!!

Edited by mark poulson